Help Needed 2006 6.0 Wont start when hot

Mcaspari

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
My 2006 6.0 F350 will not start when hot unless I use starting fluid. The truck runs fine otherwise, other than a check engine light that popped on a few weeks ago. Is this a possible IPR issue? if so, where is it located? Thanks, any help will be appreciated.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
How many miles on the truck? Have you scanned the truck and if so, what codes did you see? If not SCAN YOUR TRUCK. We are just guessing. You can get the codes read at any good shop.

Dave :)

Mcaspari

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a programmer on the way to scan it with and will post the code when done. Probably Monday or Tuesday.

Mcaspari

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
148000 miles on the truck. I inspected the top side and notice small amounts of oil around the intake area in the passenger front of the motor. Im wondering if it's time to take the top end apart and change all the seals/gaskets (injector, valve cover, intake, ect;) . Any thoughts?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
HPOP may need replacing. The HPOP drives the injectors and may not be making 500 pounds pressure to fire the injectors when HOT. Check the codes when you get your programmer. Don't mess with anything else until it gets scanned.

Dave

Mcaspari

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I scanned the truck and got a 2290 code, along with low turbo performance code. I just picked up a scan gauge 2 and am trying to find out how to set it up to read the ICP/IPR parameters. Are there any good instructions for the SG2 setup out here? All I know so far is I have to install them undet Xguages. Thanks.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Your code is incomplete. You mean P2290 and that is "Injector Control Pressure Too Low". Check with the manufacture's website for details on what your scan gauge can do and how. It may not tell you the ICP/IPR readings. Autoenginuity will tell you those things and more, but that is a different tool. Good Luck, but it still seems that the HPOP is not making the pressure necessary to fire the injectors when hot. 500 lbs pressure is the minimum pressure required to fire the injectors.

Dave :)

Mcaspari

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dave, Ill try to check the cranking PSI for the HPOP. Someone was working on this truck before because I found some mission valve cover bolts. I really dont like not knowing what is going on so I plan to start taking the top end apart and change all the seals, from the injectors through the intake. I will scan every sensor possible and post the results, I want to replace any possible problems and the turbo for good measure. Thanks again.

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
You need a comprehensive diagnosis to find the PROBLEM. Throwing parts at your truck like " a turbo for good measure" will not fix it. It sounds like you have a HPOP problem. As Dave said, you need to read the cranking HPOP with a scanner with live data capabilities. Trust me, you'll get lost in this engine without a clear plan of attack. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58