2006 F350 4x4 Camper Package.

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went looking for a new TT or 5th wheel yesterday, to fit the above very tall truck. The salesman said that he had not seen a Ford truck that tall from the factory. He did not know for sure if a 5th wheel would align with bed rails. He thought that he could reverse the axles of his 5th wheel and give the 5th wheel the height it needed to match up with the truck.
I do not want to purchase a 5th wheel hitch, and have it installed only to find out that the 5th wheel trailer is not tall enough without reversing the axles.
From the ground to the bed rail it is 58 1/2 inches near the tail gate.
Does anyone have a truck this tall with a 5th wheel that has not been modified?
Thanks..

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
flipp the axles or like some have adjustable spring hangers which will raise your trailer height. about 2"
ours has adjustable hangers

does your truck have the 4" blocks in back
i will measure ours when i get home,
i have no idea how tall we are, :dunno

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
i have a 2004 F350 SRW. i don't pull an RV trailer, but i know that when i had my 2 car trailer built, they ask for the distance from the ground to the tailgate when the tailgate is let down. i guess to allow for plenty of distance from the top of the bed to the gooseneck area of the trailer.

i still could have used a few more inches, because the tailend of my trailer does drag at times in low areas, but it does have a 7ft. dovetail for ease of loading low sitting cars.

i guess i am not much help, just thought i would let you know my story.

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tall truck

Yes I have the 4 inch blocks, and six springs. It has 14 inch clearance between the top of the tires to the inner fender wells. I do not know how much weight I would need to put into the bed to lower it down 14 inches.
One thing I do not want to do is to flip the axles. So maybe my only alternative is to purchase a Trailer.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
i measured 52 " from tailgate to ground
yep your up there i am 2wd.
did ford sneak a bigfoot mod in on you:D

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To get into the bed of my truck I keep ladder in the back. I bought an adjustable hitch below, that lowers the ball enough to pull most trailers. Some of the positives of a trailer are I can put a 55 gallon extra fuel tank, generator, atv, other accessories in the bed. We like our older 5th wheel, but it is to short for the new truck, even with the axle under the springs. Has anyone replaced the 4 inch blocks with a shorter block? That might be the answer. I don't think we need 14 inches of clearance from the top of the tires to the wheel wells.

Last edited:

u2slow

Electrician
Reaction score
I read somewhere about dealers swapping in the 2" shorter F250 blocks into the F350 for customers intending to pull a 5'er.

BTW: Camper package (afaik) refer to a slide-in camper specifically - not trailers, 5'ers, etc.

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 2" blocks should help. I purchased our truck with the camper package so that it could haul the maximum possible weight safely. Camper packge has a large rear sway bar that should help with any load. At the time we purchased the truck we did not know if we were going to buy a tt, 5th wheel or a slide in camper, so I was covering all my bases.
I talked with my local Ford dealer, and they say all the new trucks come with the 4 inch blocks. Service dept. said that the older 2 inch blocks would fit the new trucks.
U2slow, you are right, service dept. said that they have been switching blocks for some trucks needing to pull a 5th wheel and keep it level.

Shawnrans

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey Maxtor,
It sounds like you are running about a six inch lift, otherwise you wouldn't
have blocks, you'd have springs only. My truck had an 8" lift and it lined up perfectly with my 5er. I had tha axels flopped and it fit like it was meant to
be!! What size lift and tire are you running? If you are 8" or less on the lift
you will be fine with the axel flop.:sweet

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58