2006 superduty turbo problems

ashmass

Cajun in Alaska
Reaction score
My truck started up yesterday and the turbo was making a whirring or whislting noise at idle. I drove it around a minute and there was no boost pressure. The noise increased then stopped, now the truck won't run for more than a couple of seconds. Does this indicate that the turbo is shot or could it be one of the controls?
Any help is appreciated, I live in Alaska and there are no mechanics where I live.

ashmass

Cajun in Alaska
Reaction score
I have autoenginuity and used it todeay. Found code P0611, which is failure to communicate with FICM, I think. No CEL, just turns over, starts for about 2 revs, then dies. Will the turbo being shot prevent the engine from starting?

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
No, you should still get it to run, it will just run poorly. Are you sure your fuel isnt gelled?

ashmass

Cajun in Alaska
Reaction score
I'm not surre about anything, lol. However, I'm running #1 diesel and the temp is 0-20F. #1 has always been ok when it is above -20.

ashmass

Cajun in Alaska
Reaction score
I got the truck moved inside a heated building and the batteries are on charge, I'll post results as soon as I have them.

ashmass

Cajun in Alaska
Reaction score
Is it normal for a lot of oil to run out of the exhaust when this happens? I've got a large amount coming out, I assume it was released by the turbo. Is this right?

Digital Oxygen

Got Boost?
Reaction score
It is NOT normal. Either the turbo went south or you might have a bad valve (speaking from gasser motor experience).

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
oil in the exhaust is NO BUENO!

pull the intake boot off, and check the turbo for excessive play, or for a bent shaft, or a hard to spin shaft, see if there is noise when you spin it.

its definitely oil and not just water/carbon running out?

check the engine oil level, it may be low (from leaking in to the exhaust) wich could explain the hard to start problem. the HEUI engines cannot run without oil to supply ample pressure to the injectors.

NJKen

Is a proud new daddy
Reaction score
Whenever you get a code for no comunication with (fill in the blank) you should check all your fuses first.
If you did have oil coming out of the exhaust you may have a broken shaft in the turbo. Another possibility is that you had condensation frozen in the exhaust and bringing the truck inside melted the water and it flushed soot out with it. The truck shoud still run even with a broken turbo shaft (but VERY poorly). Since the turbo is suspected here I would pull the intake boot off it and make sure it is not sending shredded metal into you aftercooler.
Best of Luck
Ken

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14