2008 Back up camera system installed (write up)

King0581

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man I just caught this thread. I've been looking at '08 tailgates for awhile for the step and this would be even better!!! I gotta get off these forums! My mods to do list just gets longer and longer and longer! Bought how much did all these parts run ya?

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
Tailgate $400
Mirror $120

Got the tailgate painted for about $180.

Not a cheap mod but my tailgate has been dented for 6 years now. As an 8 year old truck, she deserved a little surgery in the posterior. I think a face lift will be next.

laketime

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
You got a smokin deal on that tailgate! The tailgate was stolen off of my 08 and the best deal that I could find at that time (Nov 07) was $875. I was lucky that it was already the right color or it would have been higher. Nice work!!!

6Lstrokin

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
hopefully bring an old thread back to life here.. LOL i have a 2003 with a 2008 tailgate and a buddy that has the camera in his handle willing to trade me handles... i have a pioneer avic d3 radio that has the backup camera function in it but the guy that works at circuit city ran the wire through my Ebrake hole and the wire got cut so im going to have to buy a new camera. well after i found out about the cam in handle sounded like a good idea, but i didnt know if it would work with my radio... any suggestions?

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
You need to figure out if your radio video display is NTSC format. It probably is. When I was trying to figure out what wire did what I plugged the backup camera into a TV and it worked. If it is NTSC, find out what inputs you need to provide the monitor. My original post has the pinouts for the camera. At a minimum, you will need to provide NTSC+ and NTSC-. Let us know what type of connector it is. When you wire it up, you will want to manually activate the camera at a minimum. Having it come on automatically when the truck is in reverse is also helpful.

Scott

6Lstrokin

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
hows the best way to find out if it is NTSC? like said i had a license plate backup camera on it before and the wire got cut. radio is a pioneer avic d3 and the camera i had was an audiovox.
Thank you for the prompt reply!!!

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
If is is sold in the US, it is supposed to be NTCS. PAL is in Europe and other countries. I don't think this is an issue, unless you have a dishonest seller.

Dave

6Lstrokin

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
lol got mine at circuit city so should be good...
so all i should have to do is get a new pigtail from my radio and some sort of pigtail to wire the camera up? my friend said he thought there was only 2 wires coming out of the back of his camera..?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg