2008 F350 hits 112,000 miles

dsonyay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just hit 112,000 miles after about 11 months of use.

I've been averaging nearly 16mpg (4.11 rear end). My truck is nearly 100% highway, and I usually drive about 60-65 mpg on the highway- I'm a slow driver. I try to keep the rpms at 2000, for good mileage. I don't pull a trailer but I do have a 9ft flatbed that hauls anywhere from a couple small boxes to 5000 pound pieces of equipment. A couple times I've carried 7000 pounds for a short distance. I have air bags installed to level the ride. But for the most part, the truck carries light loads on average, probably averaging about 1000 pounds.

All I've done is basic maintenance. Oil changed every 10,000. Fuel filters every 20,000 miles. Except the last fuel filter change which was done after 25,000 miles. The filters were still very clean looking. Might continue with 25,000 mile intervals on fuel filters.

Auto tranny flush was done at 60K miles and 90K miles.

Coolant was flushed at 102,000 miles.

Front tires replaced at 101,000 miles. Rear tires (dually) still have plenty tread left. I don't rotate the tires. But if I did I'd be rotating every couple weeks, which would cost a fortune over time.

My truck goes into Regen mode every 680 miles (give or take a few miles.).

Had the truck in for 1 recall issue.

Other than that, it's done very well for me.

One problem:
Oil is seeping from a few places.
I'm noticing a drop or two of coolant under the truck after it sits a while. Will bring into the shop this week to have that taken care of. It looks like a leak on a small hose under the engine. Hope it's minor and won't require the cab to be yanked off the truck!

zr1pete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is way to cool, You might have one of the good trucks there.... Thanks for the update. I have a 2005 King Ranch DRW I bought in Nov of 2004 and the only thing major was a turbo. It's just turn 41k keeps on tick'in I love my truck......:woo:woo

ponyexpress94

Diesel Power Junkie
Reaction score
Thanks for the info David, and glad to hear the truck is treating you well. I'd be interested to hear where the coolant is coming from. Have you evey had a radiator replaced due to the recall?

dsonyay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info David, and glad to hear the truck is treating you well. I'd be interested to hear where the coolant is coming from. Have you evey had a radiator replaced due to the recall?

No problems with radiator before. But I find it ironic that the leak has appeared just a couple of weeks after the coolant was flushed at the Ford dealer. Maybe they didn't tighten down on something?? I'll find out in a couple days. Goes in tomorrow.

I just hope it isn't a leaking water pump or worse- the truck does have 112,000 miles.

I could see coolant dripping from the bottom while the truck idled. Maybe 1 drop every 2 seconds. I just can't see where it originates. I don't hear any weird bearing noises.

I hope they don't have to pull the cab off. :(

ponyexpress94

Diesel Power Junkie
Reaction score
I could see coolant dripping from the bottom while the truck idled. Maybe 1 drop every 2 seconds. I just can't see where it originates.

Is the drip coming off the framerail just behind the bumper or is it dripping off the engine somewhere?

On edit: I see in your original post you say the drip seems to be off the engine. Just wondering because a drip off the framerail behind the bumper seems to be a good indicator of the radiator failing in relation to the pre-Venturi Tee recall on the Job 1 and 2 trucks.

Last edited:

dsonyay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the drip coming off the framerail just behind the bumper or is it dripping off the engine somewhere?

On edit: I see in your original post you say the drip seems to be off the engine. Just wondering because a drip off the framerail behind the bumper seems to be a good indicator of the radiator failing in relation to the pre-Venturi Tee recall on the Job 1 and 2 trucks.

I had a job3 truck, already had the T mod.

The mechanics can see where the drip is coming from- on top the engine. It's either a cooling line going into the EGR or the top radiator hose. It's hard for them to see it at the moment, so until they run a presure test and get it in the shop, I won't be given a definate answer.

The mechanic said it might be an o-ring that sits inside the upper radiator hose that was folded up a bit when they vacummed out the coolant a couple weeks ago. I'm not sure if I worded that correctly, but from how he described it, the upper radiator hose is not like a regular hose you put in place and tighten down. It's a bit more complex than that.

Anyway- the leak seems to be isolated to one of two spots. They will not be able to get to it until Tuesday (after Labor Day), and if it IS one of those, it can be done without pulling the cab off the body. So I have my truck home now.

Since it has only lost a tiny bit of coolant over the past week or so, I'll drive it lightly and watch the coolant level after every drive. If anything starts to pour out, I'll just park it. Right now it's only a couple drops a minute. But for the most part, it won't be doing it's regular work load. :(

johnkid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey David i had that issue its the upper radiator hose i noticed dripping on my axle and low coolant level i took it to dealer they pressure tested it and it was the upper hose they replaced it so your good its not the water pump leaking b/c thats what i thought it was too ! haha by the way my truck has 23k on it when this happend .

dsonyay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a feeling it's the upper hose. I'd ask what the repair cost was but I'm sure was covered under warranty. How long did it take to do the repair? Was it a one day repair?? They didn't need to raise the cab off the rails did they?

johnkid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was a 3day repair b/c I had a pressure hose melt on my dpf but no they didn't have to raise the cab at all so prob 2 days if you go to a dealer that has a fleet service and its definetly a warranty issue and its covered ... my buddy has the same problem on his.job1 F-250 so your good no worries about knowing the cost repair thing is can you be without your rig for 2-3 days

Last edited:

dsonyay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picked up the truck a few couple days ago.

It was the upper radiator hose where it goes to the engine. The o-ring was leaking. Part replaced plus 1 gallon of coolant.

Total cost-- 280.00 including taxes. Upper radiator hose is nearly 90.00.
165.00 in labor. Yuck!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58