2009 Super Duty HID install

09SuperDuty

Rockin` a F550
Reaction score
So HIDs came in today and i had time for once in the shop to install, so instead of rebuild accesories and actually make the company money i installed my headlights instead. :jester:

Here is a picture of the goodies, i got a DDM 4500k 55w H13 Hi/Lo kit ($79.95)and the relay wiring kit (which i figure is a must for professional installation, its an extra $15.)

pic1.jpg

To remove the headlights from a superduty open the hood, then you`ll need a 1/4" drive ratchet, a 6" extension and a 7mm socket, there are 4 bolts holging the lights on, one on the top, two to the radiator side and one below the headlight assy. the light pulls out with a little tug, remove the signal, marker and headlight bulb(s). I opted to install the new bulbs into the headlights immediatly to prevent me damadging them during other processes. (*its important to use the thumb tangs on the bulbs to turn the bulb into the socket, if you grab the housing and turn it in it will break, trust me :D)

Here is a side by side comparison of the old and new bulbs, they are the same length but it is obvious that the elements are at different lengths than the OEM bulb. resons for differnet light difraction.

pic2.jpg

I decided to install the passenger side assy first, i ran wires to the ballast were i stuck it to the battery, the kit re-uses only one of the factory pigtails, so i bagged the passenger side pigtail and taped it up, see below.

pic3.jpg

here is a pic of the ballast installed on the passenger side battery

pic8.jpg

I ran the harness for the relay kit behind the intercooler and then secured the box to the same bolt that hold the horns on, i had to dremel the hole bigger to make it fit, see below.

pic4.jpg

And then it installed, it looks pretty clean and factory in this location IMO. :D

pic5.jpg

here is a pic of the routing of the wiring on the drivers side, nice and clean. :naughty:

pic6.jpg

here is the wiring and ballast placement on the driver side.

pic7.jpg

So i was a dumbass and didn`t take a before picture of the OEM headlights. :frustration: :dunce:
But here is a pic from the other day, if i had a good camera it would show better but I thought it was quite scenic. :)

pic9.jpg

And here is the final product, when i took this pick they seemed abit bluish, but the longer they are on the whiter they get. :thumbs:

pic10.jpg

I will get some night shots when time allows. :D

AK Rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice write up. I've been quite a few HID installs now on my own vehicles but never used the 55 watt kit. In my experience the 35 watt kit is plenty bright enough.

The wiring harness is necessary to provide power to the mechanism to retract the bulb to change the beam. It also reduces the amount of power passing through the factory headlight switch and wiring which is always a good thing.

09SuperDuty

Rockin` a F550
Reaction score
here are some night shots. after i aimed them down abit.

low beam

truckpics029.jpg

high beam

truckpics030.jpg

AK Rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad to see the truck tells you the fuel level is low, just in case you couldn't figure that out from the gauge. LOL. Pictures never do justice to what you really see from behind the windshield after converting to HID.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg