2010 California Smog Check for Diesels

geoyam

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I searched for any threads on this subject and can't believe that there is nothing being discussed about this.

I was checking my car's smog status when I came across some disturbing information on the California's Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) website.

Starting January 1, 2010 BAR will require bi-annual smog check for all diesel powered vehicles manufactured after model year 1997 that have a gross vehicle weight rating of less than 8,501 lbs. (AB1488)

The test will include a visual inspection, OBD and visual smoke. No tail pipe emissions testing will be done.

And if that's not bad enough, AB1488 also authorizes BAR to test diesels within the 8,501 to 10,00 lbs weight range if it is "technologically and economically feasible" to do so.

AB1488 was signed into law by Governor Arnold back in October 2007. How did anyone not see that this was in the works, (me included).

Last edited:

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
here in CT, we already have annual testing of diesels under 10k gross, as well as spot checking of diesels above 10k. its really not a big deal, especially if you find the right place to bring it to. last test i had was with my straight pipe. it was shaking the building down with all the noise but somehow i passed.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
you guys don't know about OBD-III then.
Your car & truck will be equipped with a cellphone transmitter. Kinda like On*Star.
Your check engine light comes on, your car calls the manufacturer and transmits your VIN, and fault code set.
The manufacturer sends you a note in the mail, "Hey, get this thing in and get it fixed"
After 45 days, the State Police come and yank your license plate, then slap a 10-day on the back window.
That's it.
You get it fixed or you're done driving it.

geoyam

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The problem we will be facing here in California will be any modifications made to the engine or exhaust system. The California Air Resources Board (CARB) allows only aftermarket parts that are on their approved list and possessing a CARB sticker to pass the visual inspection.

I assuming that the diesels will have to comply just like the gas powered vehicles. If your aftermarket part does not possess a CARB sticker, they will make you take the aftermarket part off and replace it with the original OEM or an approved aftermarket part.

The bigger question I have is whether the OBD check will detect any upgrade chip modifications made to the OEM chip settings and whether the chip modifications are covered under CARB modification rules or not.

Doesn't sound so simple anymore, once California smog checks start to screw around with the diesels.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
you guys don't know about OBD-III then.
Your car & truck will be equipped with a cellphone transmitter. Kinda like On*Star.
Your check engine light comes on, your car calls the manufacturer and transmits your VIN, and fault code set.
The manufacturer sends you a note in the mail, "Hey, get this thing in and get it fixed"
After 45 days, the State Police come and yank your license plate, then slap a 10-day on the back window.
That's it.
You get it fixed or you're done driving it.

that would really burn me
:rant

Scooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have to get our trucks checked every year after they are 5 years old. They even check for the Cat, etc. No sniffer test, just a smoke test.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Can you see 10 million trucks, in California, getting slapped with that one??? NO!

Dave

CARB is the genius behind it.
Idaho has the infrastructure all ready to go.
That's how serious the Great Hop-N-Squats are about 2010 emissions..

The rationale was, if you're going to ingnore your CEL and let the car or truck pollute, you don't need to be driving it.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14