2011 cloth spring issues

silvertitan

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The company I work for purchased probably about 150 trucks this past year. several were F-250/350's.

One of them is a ECLB F-350 DRW that has a service body on it, for our dust collector crew, in my department. Last week, their supervisor came to me (I'm in safety and cover this department) with an issue. Apparently there's this piece of paper looking thing with strands of copper in it, that came out from teh steering wheel in the gap between the steering wheel and the column. This is the 3rd time, so they came to me with the concern before tagging the truck out to take to the comany we have on site that services our vehicles.

Called up the manager of the service contractor and found out another of the new 2011 super duties had the same issue but after the 1st time was fine. He said that this piece is called a cloth spring and could potentially affect the air bag. So they took the truck to the local ford dealer and it's back with a new steering wheel. Had it for a few days now without issues.

Anyone ever heard of this? We have lots of F-250/350's on site that are '06 and newer's and probably about 80 or so that are '11's. I did a search of the VIN on our truck as well as recall's in general and found nohting.

silvertitan

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The truck didn't have any recalls when I looked up the VIN.

Thanks for clarification on name. At time I called the shop, I was out back of the secondary crusher, and it's hard to hear, so thought he said cloth, lol.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I still have a hard time seeing a clockspring fail..
any history on this truck as far as steering wheel or column being removed?

silvertitan

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
nope. Although vehicles at the mine site, especially in the mine or in our department (driving along the overland) ages trucks quickly, but we only had this truck since February and it only has about 1800 miles on it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14