Question 2011 ULSD & Computer Questtion

odalith

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I was about to pull the trigger on a 2011 F350, SRW, 4X, 6.7 when the salesman mentioned that use of any diesel other than ULSD will be recorded by the on board computer and will void the factory warranty and any extended warranty. I drive in Baja A LOT! So this was a serious concern for me. After a week of intensive research I found ULSD in Baja Norte runs typically 4ppm - 8ppm with some registering as low as 2ppm; however while it appears CA standard for ULSD (not verified) is 15ppm, other states vary in their standards. So my question for Ford, which still has not be answered is, what is the Ford Warranty definition of ULSD? Or, to paraphrase, what is the upper ppm limitation for the 2011, 6.7 warranty?

Additionally, what is the turn over point for the on board computer?

With my 7.3 DRW, I think the turn over was 40 (start / stops).

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I don't see how the thing's gonna know what the sulfur content of the fuel is..
It's gonna clog the DPF, but other than that, I dunno.
Can you get bio in Baja? The 2011 is supposedly OK on up to B20

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
EPA standard is 15ppm. I would think that lower quantities wouldn't be an issue. I would definitely add a fuel addative like Power Service or Stanadyne to lubricate the fuel system.

odalith

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I don't see how the thing's gonna know what the sulfur content of the fuel is..
It's gonna clog the DPF, but other than that, I dunno.
Can you get bio in Baja? The 2011 is supposedly OK on up to B20

I don't know if bio is available anywhere in Mexico and to be honest with you, the penalty for Pemex not getting it right is, I have to leave a 60K truck in Mexico! PASS!

odalith

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
EPA standard is 15ppm. I would think that lower quantities wouldn't be an issue. I would definitely add a fuel addative like Power Service or Stanadyne to lubricate the fuel system.

Interesting! After reading about problems with fuel tanks corroding, I considered an additive to address condensation but didn't think about lubricating the fuel system. Diesel being diesel, I would have thought lubricating the fuel system unnecessary.

Do mind elaborating on your logic? Thanks in advance.

odalith

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
No comment about the memory on the computer?

My logic being that if I suspected intolerable (warranty) sulfur level fuel, I could start / stop however many times it takes to get past that recorded data.

However cheesy it may be of me, 100,000 mile warranty could be worth it's weight in gold.

dpantazis

Reaction score
the BS-o-meter is going off, can you hear it?

ppm- the lower the number the better. some is ALWAYS going to be there. as long as its 15ppm or less, don;t worry about it. more sulfur, more soot, more DPF cycling.

iirc, the fuel tanks are plastic, have been for a while.

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
Lubricity is lost in the manufacturing of ULSD. There are tons of articles that go into the chemistry and explain why ULSD has less lubricity than LSD or off-road fuel.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, MY BS- meter is going off on this saleman. Where is Robert when we need him. He's on his way to New Mexico, but he has read all 78 pages of the 6.7 book and should know this. Come on Robert..

dpantazis

Reaction score
Lubricity is lost in the manufacturing of ULSD. There are tons of articles that go into the chemistry and explain why ULSD has less lubricity than LSD or off-road fuel.

yes, but do you NEED it? i don't know for a fact, but i would suspect that the 6.7 was DESIGNED with ULSD fuel in mind..

guys like me running a 7.3 benefit from restoring the lost lubricity, but i don't think the 6.4 and 6.7 guys need to worry about it.

dp

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14