203 T-stat

ForumBlue

CDXX
Reaction score
I've noticed a lot of you have done this mod. I've seen many posts about good results. So I'm assuming it's a good one. Does anyone have anything bad to say about it, or a reason not to do it? Even of your reason is just personal preference. Let me know.

Thanks.
Jamie

kwazyca

Sesquipedalian
Reaction score
2 years now....no problems.

Be sure to replace the T-stat cover. The stock ones are almost rusted out at 4-5 years.

Tom

KansasDiesel

fly'n low on WVO
Reaction score
Mine should be here on Friday and a new cover, I haven't heard anything bad about them. Just that the PSD runs better at a higher temp. and that International originally had a higher temp thermostat in the engine.

My cover is starting to leak and decided to kill 2 birds with one throw.

:cowboy:

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
My first 203* t-stat from Diesel Site started to stick open after 1 1/2 years so I put in a 195* until I reordered a new one. During that period it ran really cold and like crap. Once the new one was in it ran so much better again. I really noticed the difference. Kudos to Diesel Site... :sweet

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ForumBlue said:
I've noticed a lot of you have done this mod. I've seen many posts about good results. So I'm assuming it's a good one. Does anyone have anything bad to say about it, or a reason not to do it? Even of your reason is just personal preference. Let me know.

Thanks.
Jamie

As everyone sez, they just run better... a little hotter. Mine sure does.

To each his/her own but, a Coolant Filter is almost a Must Have on these things too.... A Very good investment, for the long term.

bigdaddyTank

Who's your Bigdaddy?
Reaction score
I just ran my first tank through with the 203* tstat. I went from 13.9 to 14.8 mpg. I hand calculate each fill up so Ill see if it improves anymore. Thats a mix of highway and stop and go.
It did smooth the engine out also, that was the first thing I really noticed. :thumbs

Fire Rooster

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
My question is how many people in the triple digit climates are using one? I live in Phx and it was a nice 117 degrees outside yesterday. I tow a 35ft 5er a lot and do not want to overheat my truck. I have seen it it get hot once when towing and that is what scares me.

Reaction score
Fire Rooster said:
My question is how many people in the triple digit climates are using one? I live in Phx and it was a nice 117 degrees outside yesterday. I tow a 35ft 5er a lot and do not want to overheat my truck. I have seen it it get hot once when towing and that is what scares me.

It's only 8 deg F hotter before the thermostat opens...that means that at operating temperature (where the thermostat opens) it waits another 8 deg. Once the thermostat is wide open be it a 195 F or a 203 F it's the same.

If the truck is going to over heat with a 195 stat it'll over heat with a 203 stat. The thermostat simply controls the normal operating temperature.

The condition of the cooling system determines if it will over heat or not. Many things come into play here, from the condition of the clutch/fan and where it kicks in and how well it holds/flows air when engaged, to the condition of the radiator and the coolant i.e.percentage of antifreeze.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fire Rooster said:

103* here... I'v towed my FW through yer part of the country and all over the US, never an issue. my 203 thermo has been in my 2k for 4 years and 70K miles. NEVER has even... moved my temp gauge.... even under a hard, hard pull (Baker grade on I-15) on a hot summer day.

JOE

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58