203 thermostat change

Scar13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I dont see a wiki on this and I want to change out to my new 203 thermostat.

Couple of questions,

1. how did you drain your coolant?
2. Where can I get new bolts for the thermostat housing, as I have heard they tend to break if you re use them?
3. What do I need to put a seal on my new billet housing Silicone?

Sleeper Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just did this mod 4 days ago, it took about an hour. get bucket and sit it under the drain spout of your radiator i used a 3/4 or 5/8 socket to loosen the drain. let it drain till the coolant slows, close the drain. remove top and bottom hose clamps of upper radiator hose, remove (3) bolts with a 8mm socket then remove housing,gasket and thermostat. make sure area is dry before installing new t-stat. i purchased mine at dieselsite.com it came with a new gasket. install new gasket and housing (make sure the new gasket is ok and seated properly before tightening bolts because it will show when the truck is running). if the coolant is good pour it into the overflow resevoir when done. start truck and let it warm up. enjoy the hotter heat.

you can use rtv silicone as a gasket

i have a ww ready, just wondering how much of a pain was it to install

Last edited:

Scar13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Sleeper!

Thats what I needed to know and the question is where is the drain spout maybe I am looking in the wrong place??

Scar13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DOH I was looking in the wrong place! dang thats what I needed and could have done it today rats!

jopes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
whats the big bennifit of the 203 tstat over stock?

Scar13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=186

Diesels run most efficiently at approximately 200o. A 195o thermostat will start to open at approximately 165o-170o. The Powerstroke has such an efficient cooling system, that this low flow when the thermostat is slightly open is normally enough to keep the engine cool. The downfall to this is that the engine -- when our trucks are not under load --never begins to reach its optimal operating temperature. Our 203o thermostat begins to open at 185o. This brings the operating temps up from about 170o to about 185o. This is closer to the operating temperature range that is preferable in our trucks for optimal efficiency.

When our trucks are under load and are producing higher combustion temperatures the 203o will allow the engine to run even closer to its optimal operating temperature. If the truck is under load and reaches the 203o setting, the thermostat is then fully open. This means you are at the maximum coolant temperature that the truck will reach. Your maximum temperatures are only a few degrees higher than in stock configuration, but these are degrees that you want for better performance. The best benefits come when the same truck is under a light load and would have a hard time reaching this optimal temperature. As stated above, you will never reach this optimum temperature with the stock 195o thermostat. The end result of installing the 203o thermostat should be slightly better fuel economy, less smoke, and maybe a few extra "ponies" to go along with it.

jopes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
alright I am sold. Now to add that to the never engine list of things to do. ;)

RenoF250

DungBeetle
Reaction score
http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=186

Diesels run most efficiently at approximately 200o. A 195o thermostat will start to open at approximately 165o-170o. The Powerstroke has such an efficient cooling system, that this low flow when the thermostat is slightly open is normally enough to keep the engine cool. The downfall to this is that the engine -- when our trucks are not under load --never begins to reach its optimal operating temperature. Our 203o thermostat begins to open at 185o. This brings the operating temps up from about 170o to about 185o. This is closer to the operating temperature range that is preferable in our trucks for optimal efficiency.

When our trucks are under load and are producing higher combustion temperatures the 203o will allow the engine to run even closer to its optimal operating temperature. If the truck is under load and reaches the 203o setting, the thermostat is then fully open. This means you are at the maximum coolant temperature that the truck will reach. Your maximum temperatures are only a few degrees higher than in stock configuration, but these are degrees that you want for better performance. The best benefits come when the same truck is under a light load and would have a hard time reaching this optimal temperature. As stated above, you will never reach this optimum temperature with the stock 195o thermostat. The end result of installing the 203o thermostat should be slightly better fuel economy, less smoke, and maybe a few extra "ponies" to go along with it.

That is the theory but I have noticed any difference. Have you gotten higher MPGs?

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed only a slight increase in warmer weather, hardly above the variation from tank to tank I see depending on use. But the engine is running hotter.

An item I'd add to this job: check your coolant SCA while you're at it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14