203* thermostat...???

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was readin on diesel site about the 203* thermostat. Is this thing worth it? Does it make the truck run hotter, in a bad way, when pulling loads?

Just looking for some advice from people that have used it. A review posted on diesel site said the guy was getting 2.4mpg better. For $35, heck yea I will buy it for that much more mpg.

dboyw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if I gained any MPH, but I tow and goof around and have not had any problems.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if I gained any MPH, but I tow and goof around and have not had any problems.

Can you tell if you gained anything from it. The guy also stated that his old thermostat was stuck open so he was probably getting what he was already suppose to be getting.

dboyw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hotter heat for the passengers.....

For as long as I have own this truck, it has gotten between 15 to 17mph. Seems the more I do to make it efficient, the harder I drive it.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Read DieselSites (Bobs) write-up about it... It fully exsplains the benifits and reasons why.. the few degrees warmer, is better.

Iv'e had one in my 7.3 since New. It runs better hotter.. overall.

Had mine Hunkered Down.. Ears peeled back.. many times pulling the 5r ( like, Loveland Pass.. sans the tunnel x2) Never once got hot, but 203*... pull'n like a Mule. :sweet

Joe

Last edited:

Butch Cassidy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was readin on diesel site about the 203* thermostat. Is this thing worth it? Does it make the truck run hotter, in a bad way, when pulling loads?

Just looking for some advice from people that have used it. A review posted on diesel site said the guy was getting 2.4mpg better. For $35, heck yea I will buy it for that much more mpg.

We (fleet trucks) tried the 203* thermostat - it does give you more cab heat, but that is it.

There was no increase in performance, nor any mileage increase on any of the trucks. (the boss was peeved about this)

Advice? - save your money, if you need a replacement thermostat, Napa is very hard to beat: readily availible for our trucks, cost less than the $35 quoted price you received and comes with a lifetime warranty - not just a 90 day warranty.

Increased MPG? - go light on go pedal, no oversize tires, no lift, lighten your load as much as possible, no "jack rabbit" starts. The above actions will easily beat any and all mileage claims put out by the 203* thermostat.

Hopes this helps,

Butch Cassidy

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol my heater is hot enough. Any hotter and I would have a fried corpse in the passenger seat. I've tied driving like a grandpa.....for one its boring. Two...it doesn't help my mpg enough. But thanks for the personal experience ;tu

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Don't grandpa it too much or you will have EGR problems. You NEED to get on her every once in a while.

Dave

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg