203 Tstat from Bob Riley

Snowman269

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't usually start posts about mods I've done, I generally reply with my experience when someone asks, but I'm quite happy with the results on the X, so here it goes! Not to mention it's an affordable mod.

I installed the 203 stat and billet housing from diesel site & I am absolutely amazed with the increase in mileage.

I & my wife have been driving the Excursion & my F250 between Mich & Minn the past few months. I installed the 203 stat in both trucks. The X has always gotten (at best) 2 miles per gallon less than the F250. Well not now.

The Excursion has a 4 trip average of 21.8 mpg. up from 18.6. The X has NEVER gotten this kinda mileage driving 65-70mph constantly.

Now the F250 only improved a little. Maybe a .5 mpg improvement (maybe). But the truck is getting 22 - 22.5 on the same run.

I have been neglecting for a long time on buying the 203's because of mixed responses. Some have had improvements & some haven't. Well these 2 trucks show that results may vary. But I'm a believer, Your truck may like the hotter temps, one of mine sure did!

Thanks Bob Riley!

Dennis

bigdaddyTank

Who's your Bigdaddy?
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I just ordered a 203 tstat from Bob yesterday, that and a coolant filter setup. Time to change to the new coolant and behind the belt upper hose.

Snowman269

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bigdaddyTank said:
Thanks for the info. I just ordered a 203 tstat from Bob yesterday, that and a coolant filter setup. Time to change to the new coolant and behind the belt upper hose.

I have not done the hose yet. I originally figured i would allow my stockers get a little older & then swap them out. lately, I've been thinking about it just getting it over with & swapping them out.

How old do heater hoses get before needing replacment anyway?

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Snowman269 said:
I have not done the hose yet. I originally figured i would allow my stockers get a little older & then swap them out. lately, I've been thinking about it just getting it over with & swapping them out.

How old do heater hoses get before needing replacment anyway?
I usually replace the hoses when they start getting spongy/cracked with the exception to silicone hoses.

The around belt uppper radiator hose is just $10 plus the cost of a pair of screw clamps to replace the stock clamps :sweet

Bill

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
I may have an OBS Powerstroke and should not reply in a 99+ 7.3L thread, but I have a 203* t-stat (and the coolant filter setup from Bob Riley). My truck runs so much better with the 203* although I never took the time to compare mpgs before and after the install. I'd recommend it...hands down. :thumbs

Snowman269

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bill, $10 are you kidding? I'll get them tomorrow, geez...

hheynow, I thought the OBS had 203 stats, it was 99+ that Ford went to factory 195 stats. But what the heck do I know. Personally, I don't have a problem with the OBD guys chiming in.

Dennis

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Snowman269 said:
Bill, $10 are you kidding? I'll get them tomorrow, geez...

hheynow, I thought the OBS had 203 stats, it was 99+ that Ford went to factory 195 stats. But what the heck do I know. Personally, I don't have a problem with the OBD guys chiming in.

Dennis
The upper hose numbers will be Gates Part No. 22433,Napa Part #9066 and Ford number F81A-8B274-CC.

Those are some quick numbers :sweet

Bill

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im pretty sure the International trucks use a 203* stat. Problem is, Ford changed the waterpump design, and the international 203 stat wont work in our pumps. So Bob went out and had a new 203 built just for him.

At least thats the story I got.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Another advantage of the 203 stat is that the heater works much better. I don't know if my mileage went up when I installed the dieselsite 203 but I do know that my toes are warmer at -50 :sweet

Snowman269

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was told long ago that Gates Belts & Hoses were a premium product compared to OEM. What do you guys think?

FF, I got this off Bob's site:
Here's a little background on the Ford Powerstroke thermostat...

Until 1996, all 7.3L Powerstrokes that were manufactured used an International water pump and an International short stem 203o thermostat . In 1996, Ford changed to a lower degree 195o thermstostat. They changed water pump designs at this time as well. The new pumps required the new long stem 195o thermostat in place of the short stem to properly seat the bypass disk. All 1996-2003 Ford PSDs now come equipped with a long stem 195o thermostat.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58