2nd belt 14000 miles 06 6.0

dieselpilot

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
My friends 06 is suffering the exact same thing, squealing belt. His started at 12,000 K and he's on his 3rd belt, warranty replaced. The dealer did some other related stuff to try and resolve the problem and each time it goes away for a short while then returns.

He's at 35,000 K and it's started up again. I've heard it and it is definitely squealing and for no apparent reason, so I feel for you.

htg900

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for input will have to schedule it back to dealer have them put another on and check things out. Dealer said book calls for 2 hours to put new belt on they have to R&R radiator to do it.

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would check the alignment of all the accessories. If any of them are not exactly in line with each other, the belt will twist putting undue pressure on something.

It's an 8 rib belt and it doesn't want to give much anyway.

It's possible one of the accessories needs to be shimmed to line up correctly.

Jimmy T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to replace mine at 62000 miles due to terrible squealing. Ford guy said that 60000 miles was normal life.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
htg900 said:
Thanks for input will have to schedule it back to dealer have them put another on and check things out. Dealer said book calls for 2 hours to put new belt on they have to R&R radiator to do it.

well not exactly but it does make it easier.
they have to cut the shroud but it should already be done now if the belt has been changed, they cut it and add a few bolts to pull teh ends back together, its even pre-partially-drilled, still a real biotch, a real wonder of engineering to say the least
let us know.

Jimmy T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
htg900 said:

Ford charged me $100 labor. That was just a couple of weeks ago. The belt was $60 I think.

jwaring

Jim
Reaction score
I've had the exact same thing with my 06. I'm on my second belt with just under 9,000 miles on the truck and getting ready to take it in again. It’s really starting to piss me off. Same thing happens every time- dealer replaces it and the squealing comes back after about another 1,200 miles. First time in, dealer replaced the belt. Last time in, they replaced the tensioner and the belt because they found some belt shavings in there. Guess that wasn’t it… Try again!

This time I’m going to ask them to get Ford involved if it’s not apparent to them what’s going on with it. I’m convinced already that they have no idea and it sucks having to wait so long (another 1,500+ miles) to see if it’s really fixed!

Keep me posted on anything you find out hgt900. I’ll do the same.

jwaring

Jim
Reaction score
Check that- I'm on my third belt. Origional, replacement 1 and replacement 2. Replacement 3 coming soon!

Maybe Santa will bring me a fix for this!!!
:chimney

jwaring

Jim
Reaction score
Just a quick update on this-
Took my truck to the dealer for the 5th time on this belt issue. In insisted on this visit they have a Ford engineer come in and look. Their report back to me was that Ford is aware of the problem but has NO fix for it at this time. I’m supposed to call in 1 month if I don’t hear anything from them.

How the heck is this possible? Seems like it should be a relatively simple issue to fix. Darn near every vehicle on the planet with a motor in it has pulleys and a belt. Seems like something every shop should be very familiar with.

I’m ready for the next course of action if they can’t get it figured out. Any suggestions on what that should be?

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question... did it start doing it after (or how long after) you put the bigger tires on? I'm just wondering if the added load on the PS system is having any effect. I wouldn't think it would be much, but it's a thought anyway...

What about you other guys with the problem? Wide tires or snow plowing? Anything over factory weight on the front end?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58