Help Needed 3:55 gears and 3 in. down pipe into 4 in.

big bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i posted a ? in the wrong place and i got chatized for it:sorry ha! i'll try to do better. i was wondering if going to 3"55 gears would help with the mpg. i read somewhere in one of my deisel mag's where an ole boy stated he got better milage and a wee bit more torque with a 3 in down pipe into 4 in. ,? just wondering if anbody had any infor or experience with this. any help would be appreciated. have a 2001 f-350, 7.3. thanks for every thing:dunno

Last edited:

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
You have an 01 one ton, is it 4:10's or 3:73's? If it is 4:10's you will notice quite a difference going to 3:55's but you will (might) also lose some towing capacity which will show up as increased EGT's.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
95 stroker answered the question about the gearing.

There are some benefits in terms of power by installing an exhaust but not a tremendous amount you will gain some. Your mileage will take quite awhile to make apayback for an exhaust system if that's your only motivating reason. If you want a bit more on the seat of the pants dyno and a different sound then an exhaust is in order for you and the mpg benefits are secondary.

big bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3 inm. down pipe into 4 in. and going to 3:55's

You have an 01 one ton, is it 4:10's or 3:73's? If it is 4:10's you will notice quite a difference going to 3:55's but you will (might) also lose some towing capacity which will show up as increased EGT's.

hey 95 stroker thanks for coming back to me. no i have 3:73's in it now but was thinking about going 2 3:55's just for the drop in rpm's :sweet and maybe an increase in mpg. i:sly I've read somewhere in one my deisel mag's that another owner kept his 3 in. dp into 4 in. and he says he got another 2 mpg and a little more torque. i was wondering if i should consider this or 4get it or keep my 4 in from the turbo all the way back. just got my 203 stat., aih and my fomoto valve which i'll start on inst. in the a and m.:D::sweet than i'm going to to do the bama zoodad mod. i'll let u know how all this turns out;tu trhanks for everything

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14