3 in intakes

fordfury

redneck punk
Reaction score
what does it take to put the 3 in intakes on a 97 7.3 liter off of a 2003 7.3 or the aluminum intakes you can buy

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I put the 3" intake covers on my early 99 Superduty.

There were two issues to address:
1- The transition of the intake plenum to the 3" intake covers. I found some adapter connector boots that were 3" on one side, and whatever size it was on the other end to mate up with the intake plenum.

2- The other was clearance between the bottom of the compresor housing on the turbo and the new 3" intake cover. The 3" cover is taller than the original ones. I had to "clearance" ( i.e. I used a big friggin hammer) the new intake cover on the drivers side. I "contoured" the cover to get about 1/16" of an inch of clearance between the turbo and the intake cover.

FWIU, the OBS turbo mounting height and compressor size is about the same as the early 99 Superduty. So I expect you'd have about the same issues to address.

Last edited:

Patrick Feeley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will have to get rid of the factory fuel filter bowl (probably just go electric fuel system) if you still have it. Cheers!

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tailgunner is right on, the issues he described on his early '99 will carry over to the OBS trucks.

I have seen some that made the factory fuel setup work with the 3" intakes however honestly if you don't need a different fuel system then you're not going to see any benefit from the 3" intake plenums.

IMHO for a stock or relatively stock truck the 3" intakes are not worth the effort until you're driving a larger than stock turbo and need reduced resistance to airflow on the intake side.

fordfury

redneck punk
Reaction score
ive already got rid of the fuel bowl setup. so just a little clearance issue is all so when i do my inter cooler i just need a big hammer which i have.
thanks for the info

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14