Question 30 PSI boost then "BOOM"

jherman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well here is my story, i went with the 9K LB toyhauler to the mountains this weekend, on the way up i had to pull a 6% grade it was 110*and i had AC blowing full the temp gauge started to the top so i backed out of the throttle and it came back down. On the way home it was 104* and 20-30 MPH headwinds, i got pissed becasue i was being passed by everybody and there mother so about 35 miles from home i couldnt take it anymore and i hammered it down. The MPH came up from 60 MPH to 73 MPH and i was rolling with everybody, i was watching the temp because of the previous event, the temp was good, but the boost gauge which has always maxed at about 27PSI to 29PSI was hitting a solid 31PSI then dropping to 25PSI, about 25 miles from home there was a loud noise like the tranny shifted really hard and the truck slowed way down and i had an ICON i had never seen before, looks like a wrench. All the gauges read good but boost was topping under full throttle at 19PSI, since the gauges read good i kept going to home now at 45 MPH. At home i turned it off and restarted it ICON is gone and truck runs fine. DID MY TRUCK PROTECT ITSELF FROM ME????????:sweet

JRJ04

Reaction score
my guess is the truck detected over-boosting, and probably set an over-boost code (you need to get it scanned for codes), and defueled to protected yout truck.

pop the hood and check and see if all of your intercooler boots are nice and tight. It could be that the elevated boost level popped a boot off.

JRJ04

Reaction score
my guess is the truck detected over-boosting, and probably set an over-boost code (you need to get it scanned for codes), and defueled to protected yout truck.

pop the hood and check and see if all of your intercooler boots are nice and tight. It could be that the elevated boost level popped a boot off.

What is the "boom" you were referring to? If there was a sound like that...im willing to bet big bucks you popped a boot off.

King Ranch

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
My truck was over boosting causing a check engine light. A code PO299 came up and the tech said that it can be caused by a bad EGR valve. The over boosting caused my intercooler to begin failing. Rancho Ford in Temecula, CA replaced the EGR valve, intercooler and cleaned the turbo. This occurred at 67,000 miles. I love my 2006 King Ranch, but it sure is high maintenance.

jherman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As soon as i got home i rekeyed it and it drives great, i thought i might find a blown intercooler boot but there was none, i guess the wastegate opening must have been ther large boom sound and then it defueled itself, i dont know it all runs fine whatever safety is built in to protect it must have worked, once again only a guess though.

JRJ04

Reaction score
can you take it out and pull 20+ lbs of boost with no problem now? if you can...id say you are ok.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless you cracked the inter-cooler or blew the plastic tank seal. May not show it's self untill you load it up. I have only seen it happen 2 times before. Just my 2 cents.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless you cracked the inter-cooler or blew the plastic tank seal. May not show it's self untill you load it up. I have only seen it happen 2 times before. Just my 2 cents.

.... and, one of the boots [could] have a split.. that only leaks after you load it.. in a place where you can't see, or feel it ?

Joe

(happened to me once, early on, with the OEM, I/C inlet boot)

Fine69

Reaction score
As soon as i got home i rekeyed it and it drives great, i thought i might find a blown intercooler boot but there was none, i guess the wastegate opening must have been ther large boom sound and then it defueled itself, i dont know it all runs fine whatever safety is built in to protect it must have worked, once again only a guess though.

6.0's don't have Waste Gates, I bet you split an intercooler boot.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if the VGT vans got stuck with carbon/coked/rust and then broke free? Would explain the lack of power after words.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14