Question 4 Inch downpipe

DA-HEAT

The First Stroker
Reaction score
I am looking to get ideas on the best exhaust system for a 6.0(Trying to achieve about 800 rear wheel ftlbs. of torque). The largest downpipe I have seen is a 4" and was wondering who all makes them the only company I have found is Heartthrob Exhaust(found it on ebay). What are the gains anyone has seen with this downpipe and would it be best to install a 5" straight pipe exhaust or would a muffler be needed for a little backpressure with the 4" downpipe.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for just the 4" down pipe. I'm going to run duals, I just did it to one truck and kick it out at the running boards. It's sweet sounding. You can see some of the work on the thread Night job.

atk

Reaction score
I am looking to get ideas on the best exhaust system for a 6.0(Trying to achieve about 800 rear wheel ftlbs. of torque). The largest downpipe I have seen is a 4" and was wondering who all makes them the only company I have found is Heartthrob Exhaust(found it on ebay). What are the gains anyone has seen with this downpipe and would it be best to install a 5" straight pipe exhaust or would a muffler be needed for a little backpressure with the 4" downpipe.

MBRP makes them also. even if you go to a 5" exhaust, you will still have a 4" downpipe(i haven`t seen anybody offer a bigger downpipe then 4"). i think for the power output you are going with, a 4" turbo back exhaust will do. going to a 5" will just make it louder....

as for the Heartthrob exhaust, have herd the name, but that is about it. not sure how good the quality or fit and finish are....

sawed off

Party like a rockstar
Reaction score
I'd stick with the mbrp I guess if I was u. Thats what a lot of people are using on these 6.0's. Heart throb is a well name knowen for gas cars and trucks if I remember right.

DA-HEAT

The First Stroker
Reaction score
Well I started out looking at the mbrp s6224al system which is a turboback 5" off road system, but with all the info I have found it seems that kit only has a 3.5" downpipe. But I just did a search and found they have a 4" downpipe gp003, I just don't understand if they have a 4" dp why they wouldn't include it in the 5" system:dunno But maybe I can get buy with just the 3.5" downpipe I just don't want it restricted more than it has to be but w/ the power levels I hope to achieve I guess it might not need the bigger downpipe.

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
'the word on the street is' that there is no difference in performance between the 3.5/4" dp.... i have read that many times in exhaust comparisons... some say it is a 'clearance' issue as to why they use a 3.5" but i also know a 4" fits cuz i helped a buddy put a flowmaster system on a truck..

it is a personal preference

btw: some firewall pounding/porta-power was necessary to put this flowmaster piece on and to not use the fireproofing tin foil either....and heartthrob is here in MN down the road a couple hours....

iirc: some of the exhaust makers DO have a 4" dp but you need to ask for it!!!

DA-HEAT

The First Stroker
Reaction score
Thanks Red I guess that was really my question; How much performance gain? I thought there might be a difference between the 3.5-4" dp but assumed if there was it would be minimal, just kinda wanted other guys opinions;tu

dennisj2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I talked to MBRP and their 4" down pipe is only 3.5 they advertise it 4" but it is wrong. The only differance is it is a mandral bent tube for better flow.

DA-HEAT

The First Stroker
Reaction score
Is that right? I thought the one that came with the turboback kit was mandrel bent and 3.5". But I saw they did offer what the website called a 4" dp guess there is a lot of fancy wording and loopholes.

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
I talked to MBRP and their 4" down pipe is only 3.5 they advertise it 4" but it is wrong. The only differance is it is a mandral bent tube for better flow.

REALLY?!:eek:

nice, thought they were one of the only ones who had a 4"...:dunno

anyway, thanks for the update

and your welcome heat:sweet

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58