4 or 5 inch exhaust???

WhiteWheelin

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i was just curious if there is a big difference if you put a 5" exhaust on your truck compared to the 4". I read it helps keep the EGT temp down with the 5" but how much does it help out really? has anyone gone from a 4" to a 5" on there truck and notcied a difference in the HP torque and EGT temp like they claim? Also are there any benefits on going to a dual exhaust instead of the single pipe? thanks

strokepower

Stroke=Power
Reaction score
I have heard that unless your truck is putting out over 500+hp then 5'' is probably a waste...but if your truck does put out over 500+hp then 5'' is a must have.

Also, I recently put 4'' duals on my psd and i noticed a decent change in egt levels and hp torque but its not like i need the extra help keeping the egt's down or the extra hp...its really just what you prefer.

CSIPSD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is NO performance gain from 5"... None. 5" gives a deeper sound and nothing else. Doesnt matter the HP level, the highest HP 7.3's in the country are running 4" systems. Nothing to gain with a dual system eather, just looks.

Wingdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't bother gettin the 5" unless you can find it in stainless. I guess it would be just for the look of the large exhaust and and to say "I have 5" exahust on my truck", that would be it. I just ordered 4" stainless but I don't plan on puttin' out over 500hp either and I wanted the longevity of the stainless. Either way another exhaust system is a must.:thumbs

WhiteWheelin

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I didnt think there would be a huge difference between the 2 sizes but i thought i would ask to see what people had to say about it.

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
I modified my 4" system a few months back with the purchase of a used 6.0 turbo back 5" system. I did this for the sound, and I got what I wanted. Mine is 4" to the muffler, then 5" back.

dugweed

Loose nut, Ford nut
Reaction score
I've got a 5" on mine. 4" downpipe into 5" right by the trans bellhousing, no muffler. its pretty quiet at idle, nice rumble at cruising speeds, and roars when WFO, lots of turbo whistle. I did notice a small decrease in low end grunt, but just minor. Couldn't use the over axle pipe due to an interference with my B&W hitch, so it just turned it out in front of the right duals...will get some pics if anyone is interested.
Dug

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14