4 Wheel Drive Use

zr1pete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't use it often, Is it necessary to put the transfer case in 4 wheel just to keep it lubed up or does it matter?

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
zr1pete said:
If you don't use it often, Is it necessary to put the transfer case in 4 wheel just to keep it lubed up or does it matter?

Are you still in Hawaii? ...avatar gave it away.

I've heard that it's best to use it just to use it to keep it functioning properly. I would think that not using it would cause it to go bad. Any experts got a good opinion on this??

Last edited:

CHPMustang

Reaction score
About once a month we put the truck in 4x4(low/high) for a couple minutes each in drive and reverse to keep everything in working condition.

Those with ESOF a good practice is to hit the soaking stone/vent with 3-in-1 oil and movable hub lock surfaces with silicone spray,rotate it from Lock to Auto a few times back and forth to help prevent the lock from seizing.

Reaction score
I do that every now and then - put her in gear and all just to make sure everything is working good. Don't see how it could hurt anything - just being on the safe side.

Ron

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
rgdillon said:
I do that every now and then - put her in gear and all just to make sure everything is working good. Don't see how it could hurt anything - just being on the safe side.

Ron

If your on pavement make sure to drive straight..........don't do any turns.

Tbar

draftlover

Crybaby
Reaction score
If your worried about not using your four wheel drive and think you should, "pop it in 4x4 every couple of months to keep it lubed up".... Why do you have a 4 wheel drive?:dunno Get a 2wd and earn some fuel economy back.;)

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
draftlover said:
If your worried about not using your four wheel drive and think you should, "pop it in 4x4 every couple of months to keep it lubed up".... Why do you have a 4 wheel drive?:dunno Get a 2wd and earn some fuel economy back.;)

I understand the logic, but there's plenty of times that I've been very glad to have 4x4, even if I don't "need" it every week. I think what Pete was originally referring to was the times when you don't need it for 3 or 4 months.

zr1pete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your replies, I don't use 4x4 often but when I need it it's there..... Hi Bruce (Texas Excursion) Not in Hawaii now but I did get that all expences paid trip to southeast asia though.

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
I can count at least a dozen times when four wheel drive has saved my bacon. I would not have anything else.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I use mine very often but if I didn't I would put it in every month or two so the seals would not dry out.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14