4 Whell Drive?????

pacman99

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I did have it..........I test drove it on Saturday, picked it up today, 2000 F250 4x4, Diesel, 5 speed, Saturday it worked, today it doesn't.

How is the tranfer case engaged? I have the switch on the dash, is it vacumn or electric? I knew I wouldn't like the switch on the dash...like them levers......no 4x4 light comes on. Do I need the manual hubs locked in 1st?

Thanks,

Please bare with me, I'm new to the diesel thingy.

Don

dboyw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello and Welcome!!

The switch on the dash does it all by vacuum, I think. I know that the hubs engage that way, case :dunno . The hubs can stay in auto, should engage by the vacuum.

But since you say you don't have the light light up, my guess is a fuse.

This is my opinion, someone should be along soon with better answers.

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
pacman99 said:
I did have it..........I test drove it on Saturday, picked it up today, 2000 F250 4x4, Diesel, 5 speed, Saturday it worked, today it doesn't.

How is the tranfer case engaged? I have the switch on the dash, is it vacumn or electric? I knew I wouldn't like the switch on the dash...like them levers......no 4x4 light comes on. Do I need the manual hubs locked in 1st?

Thanks,

Please bare with me, I'm new to the diesel thingy.

Don
Well, it could be a couple of different things, but the one I'm definitely leaning towards is a blown fuse. The electric shift on the fly (ESOF) system runs on electricity to shift the transfer case, and vacuum to engage the hubs. Typically, the way it has worked for me in the past on other Ford rigs (my truck has the manual lever and hubs, so I am not 100% sure on SD's) is that if you flip the switch, the 4x4 light comes on, but your front tires don't spin, you have vacuum issues and your hubs are not engaging.

If you flip the switch and no 4x4 light comes on, you have blown fuse. Also, the fact that it happened suddenly, ie, it worked fine one day and not the next, makes me pretty sure you've blown a fuse.

pacman99

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Where's the Fuse

Where's the fuse for the esof located, is it a relay? I checked the fused at the fuse box, all good.

Thanks,

Don

dpantazis

Reaction score
do you have the owners manuals?

https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/owners_manuals/default.asp

stick your vin in the decoder to get all the manuals.

do you have manual hubs or auto hubs? you said manual but everyone is talking about auto hubs.

auto hubs-did you over-ride them when you drove it on saturday? put them back?

the dash light should self test when you start the truck in 4wd- does it? maybe a blown bulb?

if you have auto hubs- the vacuum lines that engage the hubs terminate to an electro-solenoid on the passenger side of the engine compartment, on top of the fender. look for a 2-3 wire pigtail and 2 rubber vacuum lines.

make sure that the wire connector is connected and have a look at the tubing. you can trace it down to the knuckles from there.

dennis

pacman99

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Let me see

dpantazis said:
do you have the owners manuals?

https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/owners_manuals/default.asp

stick your vin in the decoder to get all the manuals.

do you have manual hubs or auto hubs? you said manual but everyone is talking about auto hubs.

I don't really know, I beleive they would be Auto? I can't really see what is printed on them, center caps cover them.

auto hubs-did you over-ride them when you drove it on saturday? put them back? I dont' think I did, I'll check

the dash light should self test when you start the truck in 4wd- does it? maybe a blown bulb? It does, just don't come on when I hit the switch

if you have auto hubs- the vacuum lines that engage the hubs terminate to an electro-solenoid on the passenger side of the engine compartment, on top of the fender. look for a 2-3 wire pigtail and 2 rubber vacuum lines. I'll check this when I get home.

make sure that the wire connector is connected and have a look at the tubing. you can trace it down to the knuckles from there.

dennis

Thanks,

Don

pacman99

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Checked Ya'lls sugestions

All,

Thanks for your help so far.

I checked the fuses tonight, none were blown, I tried to find the relays that the owners manual said was in the high voltage box, no luck. I have to have a vacumn leak somewhere, my cruise is acting up, but one challenge at a time. Aw what the heck, is there a cheaper fix for the vacumn leak than the site posted earlier? Don't have $59 to spend right now, modifing a 86 jeep and 84 Samurai at the same time $$$$$$, just to go break em again. I read the post on the vacumn leak and it said that the AC goes to defrost, mine don't.

I tried to get to the 4x4 switch and test for current didn't have time and day light.

Correct me if I'm wrong, damn southerners, I think theres a couple of ways that this can work.

1. You turn the switch to 4x4 and an eletrical current is sent to the switching mechanism on the T/C? The switching mechanism tells it which to go to 4H or 4L and T/C tells the pumpie thing on the passenger fender to locks the Hubs?

2. You turn the switch and it turns on the pumpie thing on the passenger fender well and it supplies vacumn to both the tranfer case and the hubs?

3. You hit the switch and nothing happens...........oh sorry that's what it's doing now.

I'm a slow learner but, I have learned a couple of things, a PSD is wayyyyy to loud to have a snow balls chance in &#$$ of finding a vacumn leak! I dont think I could find an exhaust leak on it, also it takes 85 bucks to fill up if you let the fuel light come on (2x as much as my cherokee) sticker shock!!

Thanks,

Don

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14