40/20/40 center seat removal

Russ

Found On Russ' Drive
Reaction score
Anyoneknow how to take the cup holder/cubbie hole apart? I have some loose change floating around in a 97 CC that needs to be removed. I don;t see any screws or clips that would hold it together. Thanks. Russ

MUDWHISTLE

Diesel Lover
Reaction score
If you are talking about the one that hooks to the seat it just lifts off of a couple of dowels, try to slide it upward and then when it stops pull outward off of the dowels. hope this helps

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
No, hes talking about the one in the back of the center frontseat that folds down to give you your cup holder/console, it has an accordian style door that slides in and out to cover the cup holder portion. I dont know how to take it apart and ironically just yesterday I was doing some interior cleaning and heard some change rattleing around in my accordian door and though.... hmmmmm, how does THAT thing come apart. :D I'll be interested in seeing if anybody comes up with the right answer.

stroked 350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the trim peice around the console lid pops off, i tried doing it broke most ol the tabs that hold it down. then i used silicone to put it back together. hope this helps

MUDWHISTLE

Diesel Lover
Reaction score
Whoops my bad I don't have that fancy stuff in the XL, On that subjest anyone know where to getone of those seats or have one they want to sell, I cannot find one in the wreck yards.

Russ

Found On Russ' Drive
Reaction score
stroked 350 said:
the trim peice around the console lid pops off, i tried doing it broke most ol the tabs that hold it down. then i used silicone to put it back together. hope this helps
Ahhh... brute force:thumbs Will give that a try. Thanks

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
MUDWHISTLE said:
On that subjest anyone know where to getone of those seats or have one they want to sell, I cannot find one in the wreck yards.

They are very difficult to come by. The ones in wrecking yards are usually just that, wrecked or ruined with glass, blood or broken frames or what have you. The ones that are good dont last long.

Hate to say it but.......... keep an eye peeled towards ebay. I see them on there occassionaly.

btw Gruss......... good to see you lurking over here, dont be a stranger. :sweet

Patrick Feeley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember something on the cupholder trim removal from TDS way, way back. I just happened upon a description from Stave Baz's page that probably came out of TDS (similar to what has already been mentioned here):

40 20 40 Center Console Disassembly

The whole console is made up of 5 parts, the cup holder, accordion door, the storage area, the storage area door, and the "trim piece"

The first and hardest part to get off is the trim piece. There are 2 "keepers" on the front and 3 down each side, 2 in the back, but you need to only get the front and the sides off so you can get it up just enough to get the accordion door out to get the lost change out or what ever is stuck in there.

To get the "keepers" loose, use a screwdriver to pry the foam down so you can see under the trim piece. You can’t see real good but you can at least find the keepers. The way the keeper’s work is they are a half arrow, and they fit into a groove. The trick is to apply some back and upward force and release the half arrowhead. I found that using a 90 deg pick tool worked the best. A small 90-degree screwdriver may work.

You’re going to end up breaking a couple of the keepers when doing this. Just take some clear silicone and glue it back down and wrapped some tape around the whole thing until it dries.

Hope that helps someone out! Cheers!

Russ

Found On Russ' Drive
Reaction score
I got it! I used a screw driver to pry the trim piece that divides the two sections(cup holder/CD compartment. That made enough room to pry up the sides and front. Just enough to get the $.87 out. No more rattles. Thanks guys.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14