4r100 problem

Mr.runner

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
ok here it goes. 4r100 trans behide a 5.4L gas stock (looking for a 7.3L but gotta fix this to sell) i was driving up to one of my buddies on the hwy. tryed to pass someone and the trans started to slip. stock trans temp gauge read what it normally did, not super hot. weird thing is it only happens when its warm. When cold doesent slip drives perfect??? :dunno

i am guessing the lockup in the torque converter is slipping?

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how many miles? How has the transmission been serviced over it's lifetime? Any abusive towing situations?

Mr.runner

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
173,000 kms so 100,000 miles

i am going to flush it today after work. the oil is pretty dirty, and i dont know when it was last serviced.

03EXCURS

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT FLUSHING IT ONCE IT STARTS SLIPPING IS THE LAST THING YOU WANT TO DO. SOMETHING ABOUT THE PARTICLES IN THE FLUID KEEP THE CLUTCHES FROM SLIPPING AS BAD. :dunno GOOD LUCK

MBRPCrazyford

Eat Some Smoke
Reaction score
I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT FLUSHING IT ONCE IT STARTS SLIPPING IS THE LAST THING YOU WANT TO DO. SOMETHING ABOUT THE PARTICLES IN THE FLUID KEEP THE CLUTCHES FROM SLIPPING AS BAD. :dunno GOOD LUCK

Yes that is true. You probably would have been better off changin the FILTER and fluid. When you do a flush, the filter doesn't get changed and you basically push all the crap that the filter caught over time back through your tranny:eek: Not so good. Also, you can push all kinda nasty junk through you TQ converter too. Not good either. Let us know if it helped. Have you ever towed with this truck?

Mr.runner

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
all i have towed is my toyota 4x4 from my house to my work's shop. about 10 min. and taking it out 4x4ing once. so mabey a hour of towing max. and temps never climbed.

filter was changed when i bought the truck 6 months ago. but i just dropped oil and re filled, didnt flush at that time.

MBRPCrazyford

Eat Some Smoke
Reaction score
ok, oh and I wouldn't trust the factory trans. temp. gauge. From what I understand the red on the gauge is 230*F which is way hot. You shouldn't let and auto trans get above 200* for any extended period of time. They're not accurate at all. So are you sayin you did or didn't flush this time? Doesn't sound like you overhauled. Have you noticed a difference sine the flush or whatever you did?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14