4th gear gone

nswsparky

All my stuff
Reaction score
now that I got the carrier bearing fixed I now will tackle the big problem. In my 6 speed manual I have no 4th gear. Its like there is no gear there it dosent grind or anything its a hard stop the shifter will not even go into the detent, I can pull on it with all my might and there is nothing there. I am thinking it could be a bent shift fork or something, a worn out gear would make a grinding noise when shifed into that gear. Any ideas? I bought it from where I work and a heard that the previous driver was pretty hard on it.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
now that I got the carrier bearing fixed I now will tackle the big problem. In my 6 speed manual I have no 4th gear. Its like there is no gear there it dosent grind or anything its a hard stop the shifter will not even go into the detent, I can pull on it with all my might and there is nothing there. I am thinking it could be a bent shift fork or something, a worn out gear would make a grinding noise when shifed into that gear. Any ideas? I bought it from where I work and a heard that the previous driver was pretty hard on it.

I'd go with the Shifting assembly/forks too... first.

You might drain the fluid too.. looking for grit & metal ?

Just my .03

Joe

nswsparky

All my stuff
Reaction score
I pulled the Trans myself and brought it in to get fixed. Found out the previous drivers were a little rough on it. All the syncro rings were shot, the 3rd 4th syncro assembly was bent and totally shot, that is why 4th did not work and 3rd would not stay in gear. Also spun the imput bearing and wore a grove in the input gear. So after looking around online I found a full rebuild kit with syncros for $300. Got the input gear, quill, and entire 3rd 4th syncro assembly for another $300 from Macks Standard Transmission. Also since the pressure plate had bent fingers I spent another $330 on a stock replacement clutch and pressure plate. Finally spent another $450 to get all the work done. So all out the door its a little under $1500 not to bad for a 1 ton trans. Thats alot less than $6000, what O'rilly wanted for a rebuilt one. Now all I have to do is find some free time to stick the heavy B1tch back in.

Last edited:

nswsparky

All my stuff
Reaction score
I got one from harbor freight that bolts onto a floor jack the only thing is it dosent lower it enough to get it out from underneath when I took it out the truck was sitting on the ground I think I will have to put it on the 10 ton jack stands I have when I put it back in.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll say that when I did my transmission the truck is high enough that it is a good working height aside the fact that the trans on the jack doesn't fit under it so I just jacked it up to the sky to slide the trans on jack combo under the truck and brought it back down to actually do the bolting together.

nswsparky

All my stuff
Reaction score
Got the transmission back in the truck took me and my dad about 5 hours to put in, not to bad. Took it for a test drive works great except reverse is not there anymore the rebuilder must have put something together wrong, now I have to pull it out get it fixed again and put the 400lb assembley back in next time I am home.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14