Help Needed 4WD not workin....

TurboTy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, got a problem figured i'd see what everybody thought since i'm snowed in and cant do anything to the truck anyways, lol....i fired up the truck this morning, we got about 15-20" of snow last night on the jersey coast, locked the hubs put her in 4WD and proceeded to back out of the driveway after shoveling most of the area behind the truck...then she was stuck...put her in drive and realized the front wheels werent turning....i had my fiance' come out to move it back and forth so i could see if the driveshaft was turning, which it is...something in the front diff...hubs? hubs frozen maybe?...not making any noise at all.....they are warn hubs....and i used them all last winter, and even this summer i had gotten stuck in some sugar sand pulling a buddy out...but they worked great every time..till today..lol....anything common that i may be overlooking? they are not vaccum actuated hubs, thanks guys!!

its not a total 911 situation since it drives, just a little squirrely!!!lol...

JRJ04

Reaction score
did you try 4low? just wondering if something didnt get frozen up and just might have to mess with it for a bit. I know when I'm in 4WD, and i go back to 2WD, i can hear a pop and then i know im fully unlocked. Have you tried backing up and going forward several times to see if it doesnt free up?

TurboTy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, i feel like i tried everything, damn near back up a whole block..lol, unlock the hubs, lock the hubs...4 high and low.....i did get a very audible pop...like something was frozen after i poured some warm water on the hubs, but it did not start workin..i'm gonna go out now and try and see if i can make it work...

JRJ04

Reaction score
maybe try getting a rubber mallot and hitting the hub's in case something is frozen up? not sure if that could do anything at all, but worth a shot nonetheless..

TurboTy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, i gonna try that tomorrow...just sucks..i hate when **** dont work when you need it too!!!! lol..murphy's law...kick murphy right in the head if i ever see him, lol...worst case i'm gonna look into it tomorrow night after work in the shop where it will be at least warm..lol, thanks for the help!

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Hey guys, got a problem figured i'd see what everybody thought since i'm snowed in and cant do anything to the truck anyways, lol....i fired up the truck this morning, we got about 15-20" of snow last night on the jersey coast, locked the hubs put her in 4WD and proceeded to back out of the driveway after shoveling most of the area behind the truck...then she was stuck...put her in drive and realized the front wheels werent turning....i had my fiance' come out to move it back and forth so i could see if the driveshaft was turning, which it is...something in the front diff...hubs? hubs frozen maybe?...not making any noise at all.....they are warn hubs....and i used them all last winter, and even this summer i had gotten stuck in some sugar sand pulling a buddy out...but they worked great every time..till today..lol....anything common that i may be overlooking? they are not vaccum actuated hubs, thanks guys!!

its not a total 911 situation since it drives, just a little squirrely!!!lol...

your Warns..
are they the ones with the silver center or the gold center?

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
How long the warn hubs been on? I know on my old style 77 F250 high boy the grease in the hubs gets really hard and causes them to stick when its really cold. I assume these would be somewhat similar to the warns? Mine are the stock Ford hubs. You just clean them out good and put new grease in them but not too much. Too much grease will actually hurt it.

Reaction score
So when you were stuck you were spinning the back tires and the front drive shaft was turning? Or were you moving and the front drive shaft was turning?

Put the truck in neutral and try and turn the front drive shaft. If it doesn't turn then the diff connection is good, if it does then the problem lies in the transfer case.

Last edited:

TurboTy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So when you were stuck you were spinning the back tires and the front drive shaft was turning? Or were you moving and the front drive shaft was turning?

Put the truck in neutral and try and turn the front drive shaft. If it doesn't turn then the diff connection is good, if it does then the problem lies in the transfer case.

spinning the tires and it was turning...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg