4WD whining, grinding...

arrowstrap

BioMechanic
Reaction score
driver side sound of whining and grinding when in 4WD. when i turn tight sound becomes louder and you can see the truck front end raise and lower with each revolution of the tire.. if i unlock the driver side hub, all is well and quiet. removed both hubs (Manual hubs) for inspection and all looks well. nothing looks stressed or ground. also pulled pumpkin cover, looks like new. pulled driver side shaft out of axle, spline looks good. i'm lost. any input would be great! thanks

arrowstrap

BioMechanic
Reaction score
i am not sure of how to correctly inspect it...

Last edited:

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Also, jack that wheel up and spin it free wheel and then lock that hub and spin it. You may have a bearing heading south on you.

arrowstrap

BioMechanic
Reaction score
my wheel bearing are good and recently repacked. with the spindles axle shafts and all removed... when i turn the drive shaft there is a slight scratching/grind or whisking sound just shy of a revolution. it sounds to be coming from just beyond the drive shaft dust seal. i imagine with the load of my tires and the RPM, this is where the whining sound is coming from.

there is not much play at all in the U-joints.

the diff confuses me as to how it works... i can spin the driver side axle shaft freely and see it turning the ring. the passenger side is very hard to turn and i do not see the ring rotate. when i turn the drive shaft the driver side axle spins and the passenger does not.

dont know if its related or if its even a problem but i didnt want you shy of info for a remote diagnostics.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score

the diff confuses me as to how it works... i can spin the driver side axle shaft freely and see it turning the ring. the passenger side is very hard to turn and i do not see the ring rotate. when i turn the drive shaft the driver side axle spins and the passenger does not.

dont know if its related or if its even a problem but i didnt want you shy of info for a remote diagnostics.
spider gears are doing their job, just an open diff not a problem

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14