4x4 dash light won't turn off!?!

theheat34w

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Just bought a 2001 f250 7.3 superduty. My 4x4 dash light indicator will not turn off as of yesterday, the manual says to call the dealer asap. Any ideas as to cause or solutions?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Just bought a 2001 f250 7.3 superduty. My 4x4 dash light indicator will not turn off as of yesterday, the manual says to call the dealer asap. Any ideas as to cause or solutions?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Are the front tires pulling when you got the hubs locked in? Never heard of that happening before. Sounds like maybe the motor that engages/dis-engages the transfer case is malfunctioning. Check the wire going to the motor and make sure it is secure....thats where I would start. Did you call the dealer???

theheat34w

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
No it feels like the 4x4 is disengaged, but the shaft is turning when in drive, should it be? I was hoping to avoid the dealer as it usually means !$$$!, so no call yet. I need to get a manual for the truck so I can figure out where the wire is for transfer case 4x4 motor.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No it feels like the 4x4 is disengaged, but the shaft is turning when in drive, should it be? I was hoping to avoid the dealer as it usually means !$$$!, so no call yet. I need to get a manual for the truck so I can figure out where the wire is for transfer case 4x4 motor.

If you hubs are locked (turned clockwise) then yes, the shaft will spin. I beleive it is either when then, or the ESOF is engaged will the front drive shaft spin. I may be wrong on that. One of our members recently fubar'ed his t-case by leaving the hubs locked in a driving 100mph. If you are not expecting to be using 4x4 anytime soon, the hubs need to be turned to the counter-clockwise position. This will save the t-case, hubs, wheel bearings, u-joints, and fuel.

I think I have the electronic schematics on that...let me check.

Check out page 2 on this thread...

http://www.superdutydiesel.com/forums/99-7-3l-powerstroke-engine-drivetrain/24502-4x4-light-does-not-come-all-help-please-2.html

Click the pdf file that JL provided. That should be what you are looking for.

Last edited:

melmount

Full Access Member
Reaction score
make sure the hubs are unlocked, grab the u joints on the front axles, see if you can spin them. If so hubs are unlocked. If one is locked get it free.
ONce this is done spin the front driveshaft while the truck is in park. The shaft should also spin freely. If the transfer case is in 4wd it will not spin. Start the truck, leave it in park. See if the front shaft is still free and able to spin it. If so, its not in 4wd. If the front shaft is locked it is. If this is the case, the transfer case shift motor can be removed with a 10mm socket. Theres 3 bolts holding it on. You can then use a 9/16 wrench and turn the shaft out of the transfer case clockwise a click(1/8 turn or so.) This willput it in 2wd. Thew transfer case is sealed. Nothing will leak with this shifting motor off. The 2 sets of wires that are plugged into it can be unplugged and zip tied out of the way. The truck is now in 2wd and safe to drive with no damage til you find whats wrong.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
you can hotwire the stepper motor if you need too..
I'm going to look at mine today, I have to crawl under it with a power-probe and run it back to 2wd that way.. is fine when it's nice out, suxazz when it's raining..

I think mine has a bad relay or a switch that isn't telling the motor to retract..

here's the wiring diagram if ya want it..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58