4X4 high

Lynden-Jeff

Landscaper
Reaction score
Hey,

Not really sure if this is the right forum however ill ask anyways. I have no issues with 4X4 low, but how do I actually know if im in 4X4 high. I turn the nob while im going about 20 KM/H (the manual says over 8 km under 88km/hr) but I don't really hear anything click on. I have never really driven a 4X4 vehical so it may be fine, just wondering if its normal not to hear something engage and what not.

Thanks
Jeff

lvtitan

prototype
Reaction score
there should be a light on the dash that lights up when you are in four wheel drive.

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
Hey,

Not really sure if this is the right forum however ill ask anyways. I have no issues with 4X4 low, but how do I actually know if im in 4X4 high. I turn the nob while im going about 20 KM/H (the manual says over 8 km under 88km/hr) but I don't really hear anything click on. I have never really driven a 4X4 vehical so it may be fine, just wondering if its normal not to hear something engage and what not.

Thanks
Jeff

The 4x4 light should come on on the dash and you will probably hear a faint groaning noise, when the front drivetrain engages.

bigbrother44

PSD or bust!
Reaction score
try turnin that'll let ya know yer in 4wd, or if yer still stuck then yer in 2wd :roflmao

Or if both your front AND rear wheels are BURIED then you know you're in 4X!:roflmao

Actually, if you have limited slip rear end especially, click it to 4 high and turn a circle in gravel or loose dirt as tight as you can. You'll know if it's in 4X4 because the tires will slip a bit as you turn it tight. If you still wonder, you can try the same thing in 2 high to see the difference.

Lynden-Jeff

Landscaper
Reaction score
Thanks guys will give it a try. Got another related question, I was in 4 x 4 high and I gunned it a little off a stop and heard quiet the big Clunk or bang from the drivers side. Any idea what this could be?

Thanks
Jeff

Nasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys will give it a try. Got another related question, I was in 4 x 4 high and I gunned it a little off a stop and heard quiet the big Clunk or bang from the drivers side. Any idea what this could be?

Thanks
Jeff

Your 4X4 is working then, lol. That's the front end trying to catch up with the rear end.....ie: the front wheels are suddenly engaged and have had a request to match the speed of the rear wheels.....it's good to try these things out on loose footing and without excessive HP initally.....too much tends to take the bulge out of your wallet.:nono:

Enjoy your SD

Lynden-Jeff

Landscaper
Reaction score
Ah thanks, I was being a little dumb but I don't think I broke anything, it just made a nasty noise. from now on I will be more gental lol.

Thanks
Jeff

Nasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah thanks, I was being a little dumb but I don't think I broke anything, it just made a nasty noise. from now on I will be more gental lol.

Thanks
Jeff

Many years ago, I was a founding member of a 4X4 club....enjoyed the outdoors...rediscovered oodles of trails over mountain-tops and valleys....packed out whatever we took in with us and repaired numerous things we had never heard of..............and grew-up. I wish that on every new-comer and young-un........enjoy life!:thanks

Flopster843

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally don't like to engage the 4X4 while moving. The front drive shaft and axle aren't spinning when it's in 2 wheel, at least not a full speed, and then you suddenly "snap" it into motion. It just doesn't seem to be a good idea. I personally stop, get out and manually engage the hubs, get back in and place it in 4X4, then pull forward slowly for about 10 to 15 feet to ensure it's locked in before I get on it. If you have the auto hubs, you should be able to hear a faint "click" noise from them when they actually engage fully. Although you probably won't hear it over the engine.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14