4X4 high

Nasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally don't like to engage the 4X4 while moving. The front drive shaft and axle aren't spinning when it's in 2 wheel, at least not a full speed, and then you suddenly "snap" it into motion. It just doesn't seem to be a good idea. I personally stop, get out and manually engage the hubs, get back in and place it in 4X4, then pull forward slowly for about 10 to 15 feet to ensure it's locked in before I get on it. If you have the auto hubs, you should be able to hear a faint "click" noise from them when they actually engage fully. Although you probably won't hear it over the engine.

I totally agree.....like I said...it can be a learning experience...certainly better ifn one learns from forums like this than to have to experience busted metal from doing things the wrong way. I switched my hubs to Warn manual..a:cost and b: because it should be easier on the drivetrain if one has an inexperienced driver...should reduce the downtime.

Lynden-Jeff

Landscaper
Reaction score
I personally don't like to engage the 4X4 while moving. The front drive shaft and axle aren't spinning when it's in 2 wheel, at least not a full speed, and then you suddenly "snap" it into motion. It just doesn't seem to be a good idea. I personally stop, get out and manually engage the hubs, get back in and place it in 4X4, then pull forward slowly for about 10 to 15 feet to ensure it's locked in before I get on it. If you have the auto hubs, you should be able to hear a faint "click" noise from them when they actually engage fully. Although you probably won't hear it over the engine.

Hi,

I was reading the manual and it said for 4 X 4 high you should be moving atleast 8 Km/hr. Is this not true? For 4 x 4 low it says to not be moving and be in neutral.

Thanks
Jeff

Flopster843

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have manual lock hubs anyway, so I always have to stop and lock them in. I just don't trust locking in the system with the truck moving. It's like neutral dropping the trans. The manual doesn't tell you NOT to, but we all know it's not a good idea.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14