4x4 hubs not disengaging

the_hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Morning Ladies & Gents,

My front end has recently stopped disengaging from 4 high. When I use the switch on the dash, it goes in to 4 wheel drive. When I switch it off, it doesn't disengage. This recently happened, and I didn't notice it until about 20km of travel on the freeway at about 100km/h.

What could the solution be? Is their any grease nipples, or any way to check the auto lock hubs? It only comes out of 4x4 when I travel in reverse for a short distance.

If anyone has any diagrams or schematics of this system that would be most helpful. Or even better, do you think this is covered under the 100k factory powertrain warranty?:dunno

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
probably needs taken apart and cleaned and re greased. Not going to be under the 100k, that's engine only.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Back up a few feet and that should disengage the hubs after you have selected 2 wheel drive. They get in a bind and may not disengage when you want them to. Reversing the direction of travel will get rid of the bind and allow the hub to disengage.

Dave

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
you could also have a faulty relay that is on the passenger side upper fender. mine went out. had hubs locked in for over 2k miles....not good... dealer told me to about once a month manually lock into 4L and drive up and down driveway to keep things lubed up....or about every 1000-1500 miles. so i follow their rules and have had no issues.

the_hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They disengage when I back up. I was wondering how to make them operated like they used to.

Is there a guide / manual on how to take these apart to re-lube them?

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should always back up to disengage the hubs. It's a good practice to do it helps the hubs disengage. You only need 10 to 15 feet.

fordoor

SDD Member
Reaction score

After posting these links, I realized that guzzle's is a 2002 7.3. Because I haven't performed this maintenance yet I am wondering if our 6.0's 2003 and newer are the same and his proceedure will be the same or not. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the newer(what year?)trucks have maintenance free bearings? Help on this would be greatly appreciated. :dunno

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
probably not the answer you were looking for, but i always chuck the auto lockers and get a nice decently priced RELIABLE set of warn manual hubs.

one thing to check would be wheel bearings, and the axle pilot bearing. the problem might not be the hub lock at all, but the axle or hub cocked in relation to the other putting stress on the auto lock keeping it locked.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58