4x4 not going in

mrziggy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Last night I couldn't get the 4x4 to go in. The light would come on but not go in. If I lock it at the hubs it would work fine. What is the process for troubleshooting this?

6.0PSD777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the vacuum lines going to the front hubs, u could have a leak

shhorn68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the A/C blow from the defrost vents when you engage the 4X4? If it does then that is a good indicator of a vacuum leak.

mrziggy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
So with the truck running I ran it from defrost over to max air. I don't get any air from defrost when it is set on max air or air. What should I try next?

mrziggy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
All seems to work right. I did notice a short bust of air through the defrost when coming off of the off position.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
If the heater works properly, your problem is not vacuum. Now you get to hunt down why is it not working. Look at all of the fuses and make sure the are all OK. If the fuses are OK, them you may have a bad shift motor. This shifts the transfer case electrically when you throw the switch on the dash. This will require you or someone else to dismantle thr transfer case to get at the motor. Good Luck, you will need it.

Dave

RandyH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Dave, does the vacuum solenoid on the passenger fender affect the dash controls just like a leak would or does it only apply vacuum to the hubs when electrically turned on and not impact the dash vents? Curious if that could be the issue here. Mine had the solenoid replaced when I bought it but before I picked it up (80K) so I'm not sure if the dash had the leak symptoms or not.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
YES, That is another possibility. You need to go from the electronic switch on the dash to vacuum and the solenoid is the only way to go. I can't find the solenoid in my DVD so I am not 100% sure. Good place to look.

Dave

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58