4x4 not working??

WhiteWheelin

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
we all of a sudden got about 20 inches of snow and now my 4x4 isnt working. the light is coming on in the dash both 4x4 and low range but my transfer case isnt locking to turn my front drive shaft for some reason. Anyone have any ideas? Its definatly sad when i got pulled out of a snow bank today by another truck when mine is all lifted and with big tired :(

CHPMustang

Reaction score
I know you may have tried this but did you turn the hubs to lock? Is air only coming out your defroster vents? Perhaps a vacuum leak in the system?

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
we all of a sudden got about 20 inches of snow and now my 4x4 isnt working. the light is coming on in the dash both 4x4 and low range but my transfer case isnt locking to turn my front drive shaft for some reason. Anyone have any ideas? Its definatly sad when i got pulled out of a snow bank today by another truck when mine is all lifted and with big tired :(

Is the transfer case actually going into low range when told to do so? If it is, then the transfer case is switching modes when commanded. I think the dash lights indicate what mode the transfer case is actually in. I don't believe the lights are hooked to the switch. So if the lights say 4x4 high or 4x4 low, I'd tend to believe that is what the transfer case is really in. If that assumption is correct, I'd look for the cause of the problem elsewhere than in the transfer case.

Do you have the O.E.M. locking hubs? Those ESOF hubs are the biggest P.O.S. ever made. If you want something that is reliable and works when you need it, get rid of them and put some full manual Warn locking hubs on. They are very quick to install. I did mine a few years back and it only took about 20 minutes for the first one and 10 minutes for the other side. (Practice makes perfect.:thumbs)

The only other thing you need to do is remove the vacume line for the ESOF at the vacume reservoir and plug the port so you'll get air out places other than just your windshield defrosters.

I've got pics in my webshots, linky is below.

WhiteWheelin

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i tried the defrost trick and the warm air goes to the floor the dash the defrost so i dont think its a vacum problem. i was thinking to that i did change a wheel bearing this past fall and im wondering if i maybe turned the hub by accident then i was changing it. so im gonna go take my cover off on my rims to see if i did turn it by accident.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58