5 Years and Look at the rust in the fittings

caissiel

Laurent
Reaction score
This week I did a flush of the Ford antifreeze and installed Peak Diesel Product and surely did not regret going that direction.
Every fitting I removed and hoses that I cut was covered with rust, and that was after I tried to flush for a complete day. Actually a lot was in the flush water.

I proceeded to install a water filter and will never regret the move. I should have flushed that garbage long before now. But the antifreeze itself looked real good so I always thought it was clean inside. That stuff will not clean anything and surely not protect against rust.

I have flushed many cars before after the antifreeze life and never saw so much rust in the fittings, actualy its the first time I do see rust.

I have always believed in the antifreeze flush being the most important, but after 5 years this stuff is garbage, surely would not leave it in that long, without testing again.

Here are pics of the hose I cut off.
HPIM8210.jpg
[/IMG]
HPIM8208.jpg

Also I installed the filter with a clear hose to the Degas bottle from the filter. When stoped the hose is empty and when engine running it fills up. Hope it will indicate a plugged filter when the time comes.

See the pics showing the hose full and emptied. Used a $7 filter for now.

HPIM8212.jpg
HPIM8213.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Looks like you topped off the radiator with tap water. That is not good. It caused rust as you have pointed out. USE DISTILLED WATER to fill the radiator along with coolant.

Dave :)

mike.germann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2. Found this out with an old truck a few years back. Ended up with more problems after my "repair" than when I started.

caissiel

Laurent
Reaction score
I had a GM for 9 years using Dexcool and never saw any rust in the cooling system. This is a first for me in the last 39 years of working on a my vehicles.

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, I really like that bypass filter. That seems to be a lot cheaper that those permanent mounted ones. What is that a Fuel Filter?

caissiel

Laurent
Reaction score
I went to my parts supply store and showed the clerk a Ranger fuel filter and he said you don't want to bye this one so he showed me this one for $7.
I use to have a Ranger and the filters on the fuel side realy were heavy when I changed them, so I figured its possible that it will hold a lot of dirt.

Its a bit shorter but its for the first dirt run I figured it was not important for quality, its on a bypass anyway.

Need to spec the clear tubing, I figure it will indicate when the filter gets plugged. It will not drain back. or flow through.

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whats to keep the dirt captured in the filter from flowing back into the line that feeds the bypass line? Is there a one way valve in the filter?

caissiel

Laurent
Reaction score
Did some temperature readings on EOT and ECT and now I have to rebuild the oil cooler. Will do it on monday.

There is not enough flow backward to cause any solid movement. I took the filter apart after 500 miles and there was some dirt but not enough to be concerned about loose particles.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58