500ppm in my 6.0?

Sawboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, so exactly how bad will it be to pump 500ppm diesel in the 6.0? Any benefits, other than bieng WAY cheaper?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
500 ppm diesel is the normal diesel now and the 6.0 should run just fine on it. Mine does.

Dave

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
The "new" diesel is now 15ppm, (ULSD). The "old" diesel is 500ppm (LSD).
I dunno how LSD could be much less than ULSD, unless you are runnind died off road fuel which is a no no :cop

I have run both ULSD and LSD in mine and cannot tell the difference. I use a lubricity additive, which I being a diesel tech would say is a must :sweet

on edit- I see you have an '07, rest assured that the '07 6.0's are not any different than the '06's (and the others)
The new '08's are the ones you don't want to put LSD in, as they have the Diesel Particuate Filter (DPF)

CHPMustang

Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind the 2006 and back model 6.0 engines was designed with the legacy 500PPM fuel.

Our 7.3L produces alot more tailpipe emissions(smoke) running on the 15PPM yack,I don't see how that can be better for the engine and environment.

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
Which one do you use, and how much to add when you fill up? Thanks

I've been running Stanadyne for quite a few years, junior in the summer and anti-gel in the winter.

The Schaeffer oil guy gave me some of his additive to try, (being I just switched the truck to 5-40 full synthetic) will be trying that additive soon.
I forget but one of them pint bottles of the Stanadyne treats 120 gallons for the summer, and 60 with the anti-gel.

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
If you can find 500 PPM there's no reason you couldn't run it, unless its labeled "Off road use" and then there's a fuel tax issue. After all, if they stick your tank while your on your way to get tires [tire tax] and some smokes or chew [tobacco tax] and your on a toll road [road use tax] heading over to put a down payment on your new Lincoln [luxury tax, gas guzzler tax] you want to make sure there's no red dye in that fuel. Because that would mean your avoiding the fuel tax. While driving to the store to get a 6-pack. So you can pay the alchoholic beverage tax. Then head home. [property tax] And the money they can fine you is what you have left from your pay after you have paid your federal, state, unemployment and social security tax. If you went to school, you'll know better. [school tax] So be careful! :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao

Sawboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DaveBen, around here 15ppm is the norm.

RoyBoy, I saw the 500ppm for about .20/gal cheaper when I was in WI on vacation. Haven't seen it around here, but I am looking now.

The reason that I ask is because,

A: I am a cheap***** deep down.

B: I was told by an ex ford tech that the old stuff would gum my injectors up and cost big $$$ to repair and void the warranty. This of course conflict badly with "A"!

rathbone

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Figured I would ask so the 15ppm, (ULSD) at the pumps is maked with a green fuel pump handle correct? 50% of the time the pump is missing the sticker to say which fuel it is 15 or 500 ppm. Then when I go inside to ask, they have to clue. :cussing:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14