6.0 6spd

ckamp52

ckamp52
Reaction score
hey i'vegot a 05' f250 sc FX4 with a 6spd. intake exhaust mods. just wondering if anyone else out there was dissapointed with the performance of their truck with a 6 spd the power especially low end is horrible nothing like my 7.3 kicking myself for selling it to my brother thought this would be even better i had atow chip on it it helped the shifting but i was still dissapointed again in the lower end wondering if anyone has a fix besides a bigger chip. i just think that the 6.0 should be able to take an obs cummins. just dissapointed looking for ideas or a good used 7.3. i wont drive anything else thanks-ck

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
Well, we may need more info on the truck. Rear end gear ratio, existing mod's, over-size tires, etc. to try and help out.

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 6spd, and it is not a good drag strip combination. What it is good for is, fuel economy, down hill breaking, and dependability. The major reason I ordered our truck from the factory was that I wanted the 6spd. I really like mine, but I do not race it. When you leave a stop sign, leave in 1st high, not 1st low. 1st low is so low, you can walk besides the truck while idling. It is used for taking off from a stop on a steep incline, while towing.

06 DSG SUPERDUTY

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i got a 6spd and the power down low in nonexistent the only thing i found that works a little is to roll into the peddle slower then just mashing it. hey maxtor i got the sme truck in a short bed even the chrome wheels

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got a 6spd and the power down low in nonexistent the only thing i found that works a little is to roll into the peddle slower then just mashing it. hey maxtor i got the sme truck in a short bed even the chrome wheels

Yep,, good trucks...

Power is enough to get the truck and 5er moving. The power is where you need it at 2000 rpm, pulling the load you want to pull. We will never win a race from stop light to stop light, but we will win when we are pulling our load up a hill, passing other cars and trucks. Automatics use up more hp than manual transmission vehicles of the same type. :sweet

pete37922

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a 6sp. didn't want an automatic...had 2 order mine from the factory...but, I never look back, except the vehicles I pass after I'm in 6th...lol...but I didnt buy 2 race either...!

strokepower

Stroke=Power
Reaction score
Around my neck of the woods...(lots of construction, logging, and concrete business) most of the people with 6.0 6spds are dissappointed and prefer their 7.3's....all of them say they have no low end power...but once they get r' movin she pulls fine......on the other hand people with the 6.0 automatic are pleased with their truck.....

nascar_fan28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have 2005 reg cab f350 6spd ordered it as well, i love it, its not that slow if u keep it in the 1900 to 3000 range, pulling is same use all gears and keep rpms up and it flys, its nowhere close to a cummins low end but this engine was made for higher rpms, prob why it has 4000 rpm limit, not like dmax and cummins 3000. im getting decent mileage again.. during the winter it was 16 to 18 mpg, now that its warm out i had 19 last stop.. 514 miles and 27 gallons somthing like that, im short shifting this tank see if it will get over 20 again, not sure bout this ultra low sulfer fuel, also ran that motorcraft fuel additive during winter.. that seemed to help not sure if i should keep running it or not

pete37922

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I usually shift around 2000 rpms...I get anywhere between 18-20 winter fuel...so far summer fuel I got about 22...still prefer my 6spd !!!

ckamp52

ckamp52
Reaction score
Ive got a 3.73 gears stock tires and afe stage 1 intake and t-back pro-flo exhaust and quadzilla xzt for mileage more than enything. Not really going to be a racer just use it for construction hauling equipment around but i do like to be able to have the power to run when i need it. i really appreciate all of this input guys. yeah i was getting right at 20mpg before the ulsd now down to 17 with the warmer weather blend back out.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58