6.0 a'going.

Digital Oxygen

Got Boost?
Reaction score
Hi,

Anyone here do a swap from a 6.0 to a Cummins?

Which would be the easier way to go when pulling the motor? Up, or removing the grille, bumber, and radiator/cooler supports? I'm thinking the latter would make it easier for the swap.

My machinist has a fresh rebuild (New rods, pistons, ground crank, new heads, injectors - and the rest of the outside stuff, manifold, intake, etc). He doesn't have a computer for the motor, nor a turbo.

IIRC, the motor is a 24V. Can't remember the year.

I'm getting the rest of the hardware from fordcummins.com They said it's about an 80 hour job. I've pulled engines before, though never diesels. It doesn't seem THAT bad... or is it?

This will go into an 03 with the torqshift. fordcummins has a new stand alone tranny controller they are working on perfecting, so that won't be a problem. I'm likely going to have the tranny rebuilt by BTS, unless you all can suggest someone better.

Thoughts?

Flopster843

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as taking apart the truck, I would take off everything you can get off of the front. Grill, bumper, hood, etc. You'll have to slide the motor in and out a few times to get all the mounts and such right. Plus it'd be a lot easier to get to while you try to tackle the wiring and such.

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
I've pulled the 6.0 before, yes it is alot of work. I think Ford's flat rate is like 30 hours just for R & R :eek:

80 hours is a big job for anybody. Especially just to put an engine in a truck...
Keep us updated on your progress, never know if I will need to do a conversion in the future...:rolleyes:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14