Question 6.0 coolant temp???

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I had the EGR deleted done and now my mileage has gone into the crapper. What I'm finding out is with temps. outside in the low 70's the coolant and oil is not getting any hotter then 177 deg's. What should be the prime temp the coolant be? I'm thinking above 200*. But I cant find a 203* for a 6.0L

Last edited:

jpringle83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck with EGR runs around 180-190 depending on ambient temp and if towing is right around 195-205 if that helps. Ok I just went and read your other post is it possible that the wow factor from all the extra new found power hasn't worn off yet?

Last edited:

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No...LOL :sweet

update The trucks PCM is over fueling the truck trying to get it to operating temp. witch is around 190 deg. +/-.
From what I'm finding out is this could be the problem with all 6.0L trucks that start getting bad fuel mileage in winter. Not all of it being winter blend fuel.
EZ and cheep fix would be to put a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator covering 1/2 to a 1/3 and see what happens. :dunno

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
are you sure your t stat is good?

YES it works right I tested it the other night. Jody, Bill and I have been talking about this for about two weeks now. Jody going to do some testing on this problem. The EGR delete is the problem. Now with the hot gases from the exhaust not heating up the coolant as much now. The truck runs about 20+/- deg. cooler. Jody going to get his trucks EGR deleted and see if he can come up with a fix for the EGR delete.

Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
even without the exhaust gasses at some point I would expect it to reach proper temps

jpringle83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
even without the exhaust gasses at some point I would expect it to reach proper temps

Yeah but the cooling system on these trucks was designed to counteract the flash heating of the coolant by the egr system and with it eliminated and not heating the coolant that extra little bit the t-stat never gets to open. I say find a different thermostat someone out there has had this happen with the egr delete kits and there has to be an easy fix to it.

Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if it isn't reaching 185 a different t stat won't help it do so ,, and of all the EGR delete's done ,, this is the first I have read about this isue ,, I think something else is going on ,IMHO

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg