6.0 diesel down and out

basscat20

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Heyguys got a question. My truck is running horrible and i use it daily for work. The truck has a crack cadalidic converter and my exhast has a split in it also. I have been told that the exhast system has alot to do with the way the truck will run. My truck is getting no power to the turbo and it is just so doggy and anytime i hit the gas it barely wants to go while also billowing black smoke. if i can get some help it would be great.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
We are going to need a little more information from you. What do you drive? Year, Model and Engine, are needed to help you. This is a two way street.

Dave

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The black smoke makes me think you have a blown boot on the pressure side of the turbo. It would run like crap with no power. Look at the boots carefully.

Dave

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I'd agree..
the only way the exhaust would affect it, is if it was compromised between the manifold & the turbo

basscat20

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I agree with you with the smoke but the thing is as soon as i return my truck to stock tuning the black smoke goes away but the truck still runs like crap. I have the sct x3 tuner for it.

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
check the "boots" on your inter-cooler pipes. Look to see if there is one torn or slightly loose. What you are telling us is a symptoms of just that. A loose or cut inter-cooler boot. So please go and check them and if that is not it.... we can rule that out, and then go from there. We like to start from the most common and easiest before we start chucking huge ideas at you. How would you feel going in for head gaskets when all it was was a loose wire? good luck:sweet and let us know!

basscat20

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
ya i dont want to go straight for head gaskets if its something simple.lol. I have so far checked all the boots and there is no cracks. there was a little oil in the turbo but nothing terrible. also checked to see if the fins were freely spinning and they are fine.

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
hrmm. doggy, no go on the go pedal..... oil in the turbo... cracked exhaust...

Not a 6.0 guy and I hope someone will chime in. But with the black smoke and being amplified with a chip Id say clogged air. like inter-cooler clogged with ccv slime, or vvt's rusted solid in the turbo, or maybe a crack in the exhaust could be a sign that its also clogged and looking for a new way out.

a 6.0 guy will come along and get you going. Sorry. Good luck. :D

basscat20

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
ya was the egr. I sat here getting aggrevated and really got into some heavy research and that is what i went straight for. Good on you seth i prolly could have waited a few minutes i guess but we all know that we dont like when the ole ford aint runnin right.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58