Help Needed 6.0 down and no one knows why

JD1978

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
My 05 6.0 started acting up 3 weeks ago. First while driving or stopped at alight the engine would go to idle, you could hit the pedal a couple of times and it would come back. Ford house took a look at it and said I needed a new pedal assy. So they put a new one on and I drove it about a week and the same thing happened but instead of going to idle it died. You could crank and crank on it and it would not start. I let it set over night and the next morning it fired right up. I tried to drive it to the ford house and made it about 10 miles and it quit. Tow truck came and got it and took it the Ford. They got in it and it fired up and for 4 days have drove it and its runnig fine. All this time no code or check engine light has ever came up on the dash or when Ford puts it on the computer. They have said it could be a internal high pressure oil leak and the want to tear the engine down and look at it. I want to know for sure thats gona fix it before I ok this work. If anyone has so help to offer im all ears. Thanks.

desert50eagle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are having problems starting it while its hot, I would think it might be related to your HPOP connector. 05-06 is known for having leaking fittings that make it very hard to start when warm. I believe there is a TSB(technical service bulletin) from FORD out for those and should be covered under warranty. Just a guess :dunno but a good place to start.

JD1978

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yes that was checked by ford. They told me it was good, but not sure how they checked it or what is involved with doing it. They also said they checked the crank sen. I think and found no prob there. I dont understand why im not getting a code or light when this happens.

JD1978

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The truck is completly stock. Nothing has ever even been put on and removed.

atk

Reaction score
usually when you have an oil leak, it doesn`t fix it self, especially a high pressure leak...this is shot in the dark, but maybe try checking all the connections on the batteries, check all the fuses and relays that they are making proper connections or not corroded....hope this helps

desert50eagle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes that was checked by ford. They told me it was good, but not sure how they checked it or what is involved with doing it. They also said they checked the crank sen. I think and found no prob there. I dont understand why im not getting a code or light when this happens.

That connector probably wouldnt be good unless they replaced it with the upgraded part..I would first ask your dealership for a copy of your oasis report so you know exactly what has been done to your truck. Being that you are outta warranty their guessing could end up costing you a lot.

On edit: Are you the original owner?

Last edited:

JD1978

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yea thats what i have heard. I will check all the little things before they tear into it. Thanks for the help.

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Being that you are outta warranty their guessing could end up costing you a lot.

On edit: Are you the original owner?

I didn't see anything that he posted that mentioned being out of warranty. Isn't the engine warranted for 100,000 miles? If he's still under warranty, it wouldn't matter if he's not the original owner because the warranty up to 100K miles would still be good.

JD1978

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Im at 115,000 miles so im out on warranty. All this is comming out of my pocket. The ford house cant tell me for sure what is wrong with it, thats why i am trying to find out myself before they do a lot of work and the truck still is not fixed. I pull a travel trailer and boat all over the place and dont want to get out on the road and break down.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58