6.0 EGR info

Pile Buck

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Got to thinking later, instead of running my mouth off about the dummy EGR I should post a picture. Hope this doesn’t get me thrown off this site on my first day! :eek:

Max Power

Reaction score
Thanks, we appreciate the pictures. So if you add an additonal EGR you will get no codes? Are you guys running a blocker plate or just unplugging the original EGR?

On Duramax's they are running a blocker plate so no exhaust can enter the EGR cooling chamber at all. Then they get codes because the MAF doesn't sense the changes from the EGR so they run a simple circuit to simulate the MAF signals to the ECM based on what is commanded of the EGR. Pretty slick.

So if simply plugging in a dummy EGR on a 6.0L works, blocking the exhaust gas would be a good route to go and a lot cheaper since you wouldn't have to buy an additional EGR. Is there any place where you could block it?

Hmm, I'm going to have to crawl under the hood.

Pile Buck

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Max Power said:
Thanks, we appreciate the pictures. So if you add an additonal EGR you will get no codes? Are you guys running a blocker plate or just unplugging the original EGR?
Hi Max Power. I learned about doing this on another site from an engineer in Florida. According to him, the computer only knows that the EGR is opening and closing, other than that it has no idea what is going on. My truck just went in for the transmission recall. I removed the phony EGR before taking the truck in. They had the truck for 2-weeks, when I picked it up they never said word. This is my first diesel truck, so I’m trying to learn all I can. If this intercooler hose comes off one more time, Ford may get this truck back, right through the dealer’s front window. :eek:

ktpauley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pile Buck, have you tried roughing the elbow? I also believe that there are constant torque clamps available as a replacement. That is the elbow, it's from the intercooler to the engine.

Max Power, I have the PDF file of the 6.0 Bible. Is there any way that if I send it to you as a PM you could post it. It is from the 2003.25 model year.

This is for the '05 owners http://www.fordtechservice.dealerconnection.com/vdirs/diag/2005_Update.pdf I got this from here
http://flatratetech.com/6literpowerstroke/index.html I hope I don't get in trouble for posting those links

Keith

Last edited:

Pile Buck

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
ktpauley said:
Pile Buck, have you tried roughing the elbow? I also believe that there are constant torque clamps available as a replacement. That is the elbow, it's from the intercooler to the engine.
Hi Keith. No I have not tried that yet. I’ll tell you what I have thought of doing tho! Being a bridge and dock builder by trade. My first instinct is to drill a hole through the hose and pipe and through bolt it, but once I calm down, maybe that’s not a good idea! Another idea, if it wasn’t for the warranty issues. I would roll up some 1/8-inch aluminum Tig welding wire and Tig weld my own flange on to the pipe, and turbo. Now someone explain to me why International did not do this? What I have done, I just ordered a set of hump hoses from these guys. They say their hoses are 4-times thicker than Ford’s. Another thing they brought to my attention is. The clamps Ford uses are to big, he asked me if my clamps were bottomed out, “yes”! He said he didn’t know what Ford was thinking, “did they just have 10-million clamps left over from another project”! If any one is interested, the top hose connecting to the turbo is 2 5/8-inch in dia. The bottom hose connecting to the intercooler is 3-inch in dia. Here is a link to the site I ordered the hoses, and clamps from. I talked to Hover, very helpful guy, bent over backwards to help me! Here are some pictures of the flatbed dump I built for my truck.

http://www.turbohoses.com/Hump.htm

ktpauley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pile Buck, I went to the site you posted and looked at the hoses. They don't list 2 5/8" ump hoses. Another "trick" somebody over on the other site talked about was putting an O-ring on the pipe and then the hose. At 15K miles none of the intercooler hoses came off yet. I guess my luck is going to run out now that I said that. Keith

Last edited:

Doctorsmack03

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
where do you purchase the new EGR, or did you pay Ford's "discounted" price?

Pile Buck

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hi ktpauley, Hover is custom making the 2 5/8-inch hose. He said he has been getting a lot of request for hump hoses for the 6.0, so might as well start stocking them.

Hi Doctorsmack03, I did a search on the net, only found a couple places that sold the egr, but I could not convince myself it was the correct one! You know how hard it is to return items bought over the net, so I bit the bullet and bought my phony egr from the local dealer. OUCH! Something like $217.00 if I remember correctly, but what a difference in power :thumbs

d.welch1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine never blew off, but I had an oily film leaking from it and splattering on the oil filter lid, I ended up taking the black plastic hose off, cleaning everything up and re-installing, I know I tightened the clamp tighter than it was from the factory, hasnt been a problem since....... so far!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58