6.0 EXHAUST BRAKE

BIG C

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
DOES ANYONE OUT THERE HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE WITH THE BD EXHAUST BRAKE FOR 6.0 STROKES?
APPARENTLY THERE IS ONE AVAILABLE THAT WORKS WITH TORQUE SHIFT.
THE PROPAGANDA SHEET SAYS IT IT HAS ELECTRICAL CONTROLS 'COMMUNICATES' WITH THE VGT, EGR AND T.S. TRANS.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
hey, don't know much about exhaust brakes for the 6.0's. are you pullin heavy loads and go up and down steep grades to need one ?

also, type in small caps, easier on the eyes and all caps is considered YELLING!!!

DiscountPowerParts

SUPPORTING VENDOR
Reaction score
First off, Welcome to the site! This place is a great resourse with many knowledgable people that have touched and tinkered with everything on a superduty.

As for the Exhaust brake, I carry and sell both BD and Pac brake, they both make great products, but you may want to consider a custom tuned SCT programmer. An aggresive tow file with engine braking may be what your looking for. This unit will give you some extra pulling power, and it uses the VGT as an exhaust brake. They are very effective, surprising may be a better word. If your hauling heavy then you may need one of the mechanical brakes, but for moderate weight it may be just what you need. Then you would have money left over for other mods...exhaust, gauges, or whatever.

Just another option for you to consider.

Enjoy the site!

Patrick

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello Big C and welcome to SSD.com. Please fill out your signature and tell us where you are from. Lots of helpfull people on this forum.:welcome :welcome

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just use the tow/haul switch...i cant image that an after market
exhaust brake is doin much different

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
Now, I have the 6 spd manual, the torqueshift may not be the same (I suspect it would be with full TC lockup). I have the US gear unit. It is GREAT! I basically use the brakes on a limited basis (good idea to turn the brake lights on in traffic) But you can pretty much stop the truck loaded or unloaded without the brakes. It does require more distance than normal, but I have gotten used to it, and am sure that my brakes will be lasting MUCH longer.
You do need to have a tuner that disables EGR operation for exhaust braking (I use SCT custom tow tune) as well as TC and VGT.
But be ready to fork out the $$$$, these units are not cheap by any means. You probably need to do some frequent heavy towing to pay for one.
Unless you are like the rest of us on here with PMS (powerstroke mod syndrome). Mods just seem a lot more justifiable when you have PMS. :D :D :D

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
agreed 6speed manual will be diff. than the auto (the poster mentioned
the torque shift...so i assumed he had the auto).

i agree if i were hauling heavy loads on a regular basis id want the extra
control & margin of safety...but i subscribe to BRAKE PADS are cheap(er)
than engines & transmissions.

BIG C

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome. i couldn't check on the replies to my question until now, sorry.
I will fill out my signature soon. thanks for the responses.
as for my truck it's an 04 350 4x4 sc. it's got the sct2 with tunes from ATS here in Colorado. i'm currently running the tow/power program.
the truck is used for work.
i was asking about the exhaust brakes because i have had some stopping issues when hauling my trailer with materials for jobs and most recently coming down the mountains with 4 cords of wood(green) on the tailer.
the brakes start to fade away and the tow haul is pretty much wortrhless
stock or reprogramed.

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
Sounds like you really need an exhaust brake! I got a deal on mine on ebay, $650 for a brand new 3.5 unit. :sweet

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg