6.0 failure and new engine cost

BigredF350

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Lost my engine last monday (680 miles from home).:eek: An injector came apart and parts entered the cylinder. Happened while doing 65 on interstate. The flow of raw fuel into cylinder caused cylinder/piston damage and possible bent rod along with other internal engine damage. Mileage was 206000 on my 2003 F350. All this according to the Ford mechanics. (Also verified via phone as very likely by my local mechanic back home as I explained it.)

Anyone else had this problem? Hope not!!

Cost of tear down and rebuild close to complete engine replacement. Chose to go with complete engine replacement. Sure is an unexpected dent in the pocket book but much cheaper than a new truck!! The truck is in excellent condition (minus the engine) and equipped just like i want it. Cost is estimated at $13035 for engine plus other misc parts and labor. Should be in the neighborhood of $18000.:doh:

Shopped around and found that a used truck around the same age depending on condition would run $25-30K and still have an engine with 100K or so miles.:dizzy:dunno;

Should be back on the road Wednesday!!;tu

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Have you looked on Ebay for a used engine? I have seen them, on there, for about $6,000 ready to drop in.

Dave

wpfd571

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think for 18,000 you should be able to find another truck, I just could not see myself putting that much money into my truck. But like you said you have yours set up just how you like, so to each his own i guess. Just make sure you put some head studs in and delete the egr while its out. Good luck to ya!!;tu

DR.Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New ford reman with 2 year unlimited mileage nationwide warranty installed runs 13 k at my shop

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey bigredf350,
Call Bill over at powerstrokehelp.com and talk to him. He may have a fix for you there. He has some rebuildable motors or he may be able to rebuild yours.

He knowns more about these motor then the dealer guys do.

Last edited:

Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there is 2 in az for 3k on craigslist low miles
I wouldn;t really want a reman for that$$

ponyexpress94

Diesel Power Junkie
Reaction score
Lost my engine last monday (680 miles from home).:eek: An injector came apart and parts entered the cylinder. Happened while doing 65 on interstate. The flow of raw fuel into cylinder caused cylinder/piston damage and possible bent rod along with other internal engine damage. Mileage was 206000 on my 2003 F350. All this according to the Ford mechanics. (Also verified via phone as very likely by my local mechanic back home as I explained it.)

Anyone else had this problem? Hope not!!

Cost of tear down and rebuild close to complete engine replacement. Chose to go with complete engine replacement. Sure is an unexpected dent in the pocket book but much cheaper than a new truck!! The truck is in excellent condition (minus the engine) and equipped just like i want it. Cost is estimated at $13035 for engine plus other misc parts and labor. Should be in the neighborhood of $18000.:doh:

Shopped around and found that a used truck around the same age depending on condition would run $25-30K and still have an engine with 100K or so miles.:dizzy:dunno;

Should be back on the road Wednesday!!;tu

Actually the exact same thing happened to one of my friends. He was pulling an enclosed trailer out to Bonneville for a race when his grenaded on him. He got a used engine from a 2007 truck but it still cost $10,000 including labor, parts, etc.

Sorry to hear you had trouble, but glad you are staying with it and getting it back on the road. Let us know how things go.

BigredF350

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Ponyexpress94,
I shopped around and figured with shipping, labor, the cost of putting a in used engine with many miles of unknown maintenance and no guarantee was a too much of a gamble. Plus $2000 to tow it home for repairs. The complete new engine has a complete new fuel system, turbo etc and a unlimited mileage 2yr warranty. No engine parts off the old engine. Like I said, it sure is a dent in the pocket book but seems the right way to go for me.

Thanks all for your replies.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can buy a 7.3, truck and all, with a lot less miles for 12k. But if you're so in into the 6.0 I'd talk to Bill like someone else said.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58