6.0 failure and new engine cost

ponyexpress94

Diesel Power Junkie
Reaction score
Ponyexpress94,
I shopped around and figured with shipping, labor, the cost of putting a in used engine with many miles of unknown maintenance and no guarantee was a too much of a gamble. Plus $2000 to tow it home for repairs. The complete new engine has a complete new fuel system, turbo etc and a unlimited mileage 2yr warranty. No engine parts off the old engine. Like I said, it sure is a dent in the pocket book but seems the right way to go for me.

Thanks all for your replies.

Yeah I completely understand your approach to the situation. I would do the same thing, because I'm not sure I would want to trust a used engine to someone elses maintenance schedule and then end up with the problems. I was actually just answering your question "Has this happened to anyone else?", which I assume was directed at the type of engine failure.

Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maybe consider a cummins swap at this point ?
anyway When I was talking used motors ,, and if it were me ,( I understand your position ) I would get a low mile used pull the heads deck and stud them and ofcourse inspect the internals ,,

Scooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is to the point a cummins swap would be easier, and cheaper. Too bad it is nearly 700 miles away.

BigredF350

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments. If I had the truck at home I would certainly look at other ways to get back on the road! However whey 700 miles from home it limits your opportunities. At least in my situation. Thanks again, Hope to be on the road Wednesday!!

BigredF350

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Dealer says truck is ready so I will head out tomorrow and pick it up Wednesday. Hopefully all will be good. Dealer says there is nothing special to do to for a break-in period. Just get in and go as usual. Haul a trailer etc no problem.

What do you experts say?? I want it to be right! Thanks in advance.

BigredF350

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well I picked up the truck on March 11. in Ohio.:) The work was done as stated in the quote and the truck was detailed and looked nice. The only issue I had at the time was the replacement of the charge air cooler since I had it replaced in September and only had 10,000 miles on it.:( I told the Service manager not to replace it 3 times but he chose to replace it anyway. He did take $100 dollars off the price but it still cost $400+. So now I have an extra good used charge air cooler. If anyone could use it send me a private message and maybe we can work a deal.:D We left Ohio and picked up a travel trailer in Goshen, IN and took it to California. Came back to Virginia after a couple of side trips and visits. Drove over 7000 miles with no problems. So I guess you can call that a successful break in. Hopefully I can get a few more hundred thousand miles on this engine.;tu

jagular7

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Glad you are happy with your decision and choice. Making these types of choices is hard to do, weighing about everything to make the decision, then making the decision. Don't look back and wonder. Keep looking forward.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58