Help Needed 6.0 hard starting, stalls out lost and need help

papas83

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hi guys Tom from Northern WI Sorry no real into being new but this is so long as it is...

I thought I posted the first half the other day but somehow I did something wrong and it never posted so I am posting it now so you know the problem from the beginning

History:
2005 F250 6.0 powerstroke,154,000 miles
has always blown white/blue smoke, more at times. Oil, oil filter and fuel filter changed at end of October '11. Less than 1000 miles since then.
Current issue(s):
1.White/blue smoke heavy at times Problem came on slowly in the beginning
2.Truck started bucking when cold as I accelerated around 30 MPH, and then disappeared as truck warmed.
3.While accelerating or maintaining speed, when I let off the accelerator fast, the engine will die.
4.It became harder and harder to start to where it now does not start without the help of starting fluid.
5.Idles at 750, when brought to 1250/1500 engine races, stalls, and dies unless I let off accelerator, but not always lots of smoke. Smooth idle at 750, fluctuates once in a while.
Trouble Codes Received:
P0404, P0528, P0562, P0672, P0683, P1335, P1378, P2290, P2614, P2617, B1352, U1900
Work done:

1. Found out what codes meant and did what I could
2. Two new batteries installed, EGR valve taken out, completely filled with dry hard black crud and plugged. Cleaned and reinstalled.
3. FICM tested, 48.8v KO; 48.8v-48.6v running. also maintained same reading when RPM brought to the point of racing.

Since posting that did some more work and had some improvement; I went to the local shop and had him scan it with a snap-on Solest Pro scanner ( which he says does everything but wipe your ass) before bringing it to him I had left the key on and lights on and battery disconnected which to clear the codes. He showed no trouble codes what he did find was the alternator was putting out 13.2-12.9 and the only other thing it showed was 6 misfires left in memory when testing the injectors.

I put a new alternator in. When I let off the accelerator quickly it will stall or die while turning a corner. This may be a BIG KEY to the problem; I can get it up to 65 mph with gradual acceleration with no problem but If step on it while moving when I hit 60 MPH it cut out, stalls, loses power you feel nothing (it is very hard to describe) if I keep the accelerator pressed it will die,but if I let off it the RPMs come back up slowly and regain power and I can continue driving. If I jump on it from a dead stop it will do the same thing at 40 MPH....... I am a weekend mechanic at best and this is my first diesel. Do you guys have any what to do and the best way to do it . Thanks for reading all of this

trailey97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to say maybe injectors...but first of all with diesels NEVER USE STARTING FLUID!!! no matter how desperate you are to get started...just fyi.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like two thing going on here. The smoke could be oil sitting in the tubes that go to the turbo. Not a big thing just pull them out and clean them may need to clean the inter cooler too. As for the dieing and not running right the FICM maybe the problem, everything that runs the motor runs through the FICM.

papas83

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks dogman I will do that is that what is causing the Turbo fart? But the FICM test 48+ volts I was even able to test it while it was having it fit. Could ICP do anything like this?

papas83

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I know I know I have been told but I didnt know what else to do. Since did all that I drove it for about 40 miles and did not have to use the starting fluid once it started without it very hard but started I let it sit over night and just went out to start it well it cranked to the point you want to stop but then it fired once started yesterday it would start like normal unless it died, then it started hard.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks dogman I will do that is that what is causing the Turbo fart? But the FICM test 48+ volts I was even able to test it while it was having it fit. Could ICP do anything like this?

No that does not causing the Turbo fart. Thats a 6.0 trade mark....LOL it nothing. My 6.4 does the Turbo fart thing. When you get into the petal fast then back off fast it will do it.

THE ICP SENSOR IS A SENSOR THAT READS THE PRESSURE, IN THE HIGH PRESSURE OIL SYSTEM, & SENDS VOLTAGE BACK TO THE ECM IN ORDER TO DETERMINE WHEN TO FIRE THE INJECTORS BASED ON THE VOLTAGE THAT THE ECM RECIEVES.

It could give you some problems. The IPR to could give some problem also it's on top of the HPOP. Also look at the crankshaft position sensor also known as (CKP).

Last edited:

papas83

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
OK I did not get to the shop before he closed for the weekend so I have to wait til Monday to rescan it. I dint think it has anything to due with turning I think that it stalls/bucks/ for a few seconds when I jump on it or let off the pedal to fast or break fast making the engine slow down fast, could that be vacuum somewhere?

papas83

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Dave I really didn't mean vacuum as in gasoline I meant an air leak in the turbo I know nothing about a turbo. I also tried something else yesterday I shifted it into neutral before I had to slow down fast and the RPMs didn't drop like it would while in gear. I didn't push it hard but it seems like when in gear and the motor winds down fast thats when the problem happens and fast acceleration??????? Tom

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
All the turbo does is jamb more air into the engine. With more air comes the fuel and more power. Just jamming more air will not do anything like cause it to stall. You can get a turbo fart by quickly letting off and then jumping back on it. Not good to do.

Most of the codes you show are low voltage and you put new batteries in your truck. The other is a CPS sensor (Crank Position Sensor). That can cause many problems. Get a new one and replace it. It is located on the timing cover and has a wire harness (two wires) going to it. It should be at the pulley on the crank. GET A FORD CPS, the aftermarket store's are questionable. Not too much $$$ from FORD.

Dave ;tu

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58