6.0 idle time

melmount

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hi guys,
i heard idling not soo good for a 6.0? excessive idle? i was wondering if it hurts it? My truck runs well? just curious?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
It is not good to idle for long periods of time. You can get coking which is a build up of unburned or incomplete burned fuel products in your engine. This is like running a gas motor with the choke on all of the time.

Dave

powerstrokeguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hi guys,
i heard idling not soo good for a 6.0? excessive idle? i was wondering if it hurts it? My truck runs well? just curious?

no it will cause bad carbon built up, from what i was told. and yes it hurts it. if you do have to leave it idling, when ever u drive it, just dog on it a couple of times, and its suppose to blow it out.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
That is why you should have some way to set a fast idle (1200 + rpm). Upfitter5 switches is one way. What do you drive??? Fill out your signature by going to the USER CP above and fill it out so we can help you.

Dave

melmount

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hi
thanks for the reply, forgive my ignorance. i am new to this site. I have a 2004 6.0 4 dr long bed 4by4. 20k on it. I would love info on the high idle so i can do this.
thanks
melmount

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
melmont, the mod for the hi idle is in the pictures on my photos below. Look at them it is as easy as hooking two wires to a switch and the wires are located under the dash near the drivers firewall.

Dave

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I just typed up a DYI article for this mod. It only will work with '03 - '04 6.0 diesel engines. Sorry powerstrokeguy.

Dave

melmount

Full Access Member
Reaction score
high idle wire

hi dave
I think i am getting this right. I am supposed to hook up the white/blue wire to the white wire? when i flip the switch on it connects the two and then raises the idle? i see the pics. Its a bit fuzzy but i think i got it.
one wire must be a hot wire? The other one that when power hits it the idle is higher? which is which?
once done approx how long is safe to idle? i would never mopst likely do it idling for more than an hour.
melmountl

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Svttim