6.0 intercooler upgrade or other?

SuperDuty99&01

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Ok so I've upgraded everything on my truck except my intercooler. Im currently making 500+ horsepower & 1000 plus ftlbs torque at the wheels. I have a heat issue though, and amswitching my 4" exhaust out for 5".& would like some advise on intercoolers.

Thanks in advance
Nick

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I've upgraded everything on my truck except my intercooler. Im currently making 500+ horsepower & 1000 plus ftlbs torque at the wheels. I have a heat issue though, and amswitching my 4" exhaust out for 5".& would like some advise on intercoolers.

Thanks in advance
Nick

What mod's have you done to get to the 500hp ? Is it EGT issues or Engine Temp issues ?

I did the 6.0 I/C upgrade.. it helped the EGT's conciderably.

Need a Little more info.

Joe

SuperDuty99&01

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Exhaust temp is the issue. I have beans diesel stage 3 injectors, diablo sport predator 110hp turner, van flange ebpv eliminator pedastol, garrett gt38r with modded.compressor housing, 4" straight exhaust, modded IDM ported and polished intake housing, heads have been reworked,and studded, boost fooler. Ive sunk a ton of money and time into this thing, even put air dog 150gph fuel system. Just wondered if I should cheap out so to speak and just go 6.0 intercooler or spend money onsay a spearco or banks set up

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exhaust temp is the issue. I have beans diesel stage 3 injectors, diablo sport predator 110hp turner, van flange ebpv eliminator pedastol, garrett gt38r with modded.compressor housing, 4" straight exhaust, modded IDM ported and polished intake housing, heads have been reworked,and studded, boost fooler. Ive sunk a ton of money and time into this thing, even put air dog 150gph fuel system. Just wondered if I should cheap out so to speak and just go 6.0 intercooler or spend money onsay a spearco or banks set up

:dunno As stated, I went with a OE Ford 6.0 I/C.. purdy much a strait swap install. I'm a 6 speed though, so no auto tranny cooler remount issues.

I'll say it dropped my EGT's about 75+*, due to more volume, more surface area.. when towing my 5th wheel.

BUT.. JMO ? with all the "Big Time" mods you've done.. The 5" exhaust might get you the Cooler EGT's yer looking for ?

i.e., You might have Cooler Intake Air with a bigger/better I/C ? But.. if the Exhaust is still somewhat restricted.. for the Mods.. with the current 4" system.. THAT, may counter the the cooler intake air.. ? A Point, Counter Point thing ??

Joe

(Banks stuff is Waay to Pricey, IMO) (Our site sponcors have equally as good'a stuff.. at more reasonable prices) (No "Banks" sticker though ;):lmao)

SuperDuty99&01

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I agree with banks stuff being way too pricey, and from expierence customer service leaves alot to be desired. Im just not sure like I said if I can get away.with just a 6.0 ic.

DOC-MX

FOREIGN MEMBER
Reaction score
I agree with banks stuff being way too pricey, and from expierence customer service leaves alot to be desired. Im just not sure like I said if I can get away.with just a 6.0 ic.

I think the spearco IC is the way to go with your mods. Maybe also pricey, IDK.

fordfury

redneck punk
Reaction score
i would look into a spearco or a bd intercooler, and i think your exhaust is plenty for what your horsepower is, i would look into maybe a diff turbo to get your exhaust out faster or maybe even a water meth kit

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
You can see in my sig some of the stuff I had on my old ride.
Even with the 6.0 intercooler, I had an issue with EGT's in the performance or OMG tunes.
You have bigger injectors than what I had. I'm 100% sure that a 6.0 intercooler will not be enough for you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58