6.0 issues

powerstrokeboss

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
my 03 6.0 is having some weird issues. the symptoms are, very inconsistent boosting, (sometimes it will boost sometimes it will stop at about 10lbs) low fuel pressure,(fluctuates) and the oil pressure gauge drops at idle. the fuel pressure and low pressure problems happened after a chip was installed and now if the truck is not tuned it runs very rough. checked base oil and it seems to be o.k. this has completely frustrated me, if you have any clue please let me know.

bismic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any codes?

Also, you need to post numbers.

What is your fuel pressure? How low does it go? what is the range of fluctuation? Is the fluctuation random or does it coincide w/ engine operation?

When were the fuel filters last changed? Have you drained some fuel to see if you got bad fuel?

What are MAP and Baro readings at KOEO?

Map at:
low idle
high idle
65 mph steady
hard acceleration?

Have you checked the MAP sensor hose for cracks or leaks?

What are ICP psi, ICP volts, and IPR % duty cycle at:
KOEO
low idle
high idle
steady 65 mph
hard acceleration

Last edited:

powerstrokeboss

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
their are no codes, the fuel pressure at idle is 54 but drops to 48 with acceleration and fluctuates under very light throttle, the fuel filters are new motorcraft filters, and the diesel is good.

1. MAP-- KOEO-100.5,L idle- 101.5,H idle-107.5,65MPH-150, WOT-250
2. BARO-- KOEO,L idle, and H idle-29.62, 65MPH-29.75, WOT-29.62
3. ICP-- KOEO-0.33, L idle-4.92, H idle-5.20, 65MPH-7.9, WOT-10.9

will have to check MAP sensor for cracks
the IPR is brand new but i didn't have a device that would read it so i will have to get back to you.
also im not sure what you mean by IP volts

let me know what you think.

bismic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ICP operating range is 0-5 volts. If those are the actual readings you are getting, something is wrong w/ the ICP sensor. Thing is, it is supplied a 5V reference so I don't see how the signal can ever be more than 5 volts.

MAP and Baro look good.

The fuel pressure is marginal. Have you updated the regulator spring? If not, you really need to.

powerstrokeboss

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I will check to make sure it was volts it was reading, and yes it has the blue spring but in the original housing... could that cause problems?
also what is baro and is it suppose to stay about the same?

bismic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can convert it, just post the units that it was reporting (obviously not psi or kPa either). Maybe megapascals?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58