6.0 liter GOOD VS BAD

jherman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay i read numerous articles after purchasing my used 6.0 and they have about got me scared to death i purchased the wrong motor what with all the head problems and the cost associated with repairs.

My final opinion is that i will keep it and drive the crap out of it and if it breaks then i will fix it.
I have read many more reports of people driving hundreds of thousands of miles and never having a problem. I have made no power upgrades so I am going to count myself in this group of potential (NO PROBLEM HERE) owners.

Just wanted to say that as i was almost freaked out by all the repair costs on what i thought was a bullet proof motor.

I gotta stop reading all these negative reports kinda like watching the evening OBAMA reports, it gets down right depressing some times.

85buggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hope your a lucky one

I love my truck I wish I was a lucky one I'm the original owner only mod is AFE air box and Magnaflo exhaust. I have 84000 mi and this year I had the EGR unit replaced in Feb & April in June the Turbo housing replaced 2 weeks later the same part went bad. The turbo was rebuilt at 27000mi and completely replaced at 34000 mi. I'm getting out while the getting is good after 100,000 all these repairs come out of my pocket that's like 16,000 mi more of FORDs warranty. I have a buyer for my truck as soon as the new FORD gets in probably in just days. He knows the problems I have but is willing to chance it its been running great since the June repairs so my luck he might get 100000 good miles out of it. GOOD LUCK you see I bought another FORD just not a Diesel

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 6.0 is a Dang Good Motor.

The Only reports yul read are the BAD ones. Compare those to the number of 6.0's on the road.. the 6.0 is a Dang Good Motor.

Maintenance is the key. On ANY motor, Gas or Dezel.

You take care of IT ? It'l take care of you... Kinda thing.

groundhawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I got my truck, I was worried sick that I was going to have a constantly broke down pile...but that was after reading all of the bad comments on the interweb.

Like Big Joe said...people are going to bitch twice as loud about something bad happening versus something good. That's the way it is anywhere, but the message boards seem to amplify it some on top of that.

As for my truck, it's an 05 and I am the original owner. I go 5K on oil changes and 10K on the fuel filters. It's got a MBRP exhaust on it and I've been running a custom tuned SCT for probably 25K miles or so now and I have not had problem one from her...about 57K on the clock now.

With that said, I don't flog it every day. I do get in it from time to time...it's jsut too damn fun not to. I expect that there will come a day that I will have to do head gaskets, but I hope that it will wait long enough that I am ready to do it on my terms...add some head studs and and egr delete, along with a few other here and theres...then I shouldn't have to worry about it again.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
ALL motors in ALL trucks are junk, if you read these forums. They are ALL good motors, but each has its own "thing" that could be improved. Common sense.

Dave :)

dmcvey_1999

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
6.0l reliability

I would say to the original OP read, read, and read some more. There are problems with the 6.0l such as the headgaskets, egr problems etc. It comes down to how comfortable are you with working on your own vehicle. I have 105,000 miles on my truck. It is an 06 F250 lariat with 3.73 gears. Under warranty I had to have the FICM, EGR cooler, oil cooler, egr valve, power steering pump, turbo rebuilt, and right rear caliper replaced. When it was out of warranty I replaced my water pump, thermostat, deleted the egr, headgaskets, and ARP studs. I have researched heavily the new trucks and personally prefer the simplicity of the 6.0l comparatively to the new trucks. 38 egr sensors on the new 6.7, are you kidding me? I did the studs, egr delete, oil cooler rebuild myself and saved at least 3,600 dollars over what the quotes were.

HeavyAssault

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you scared of the flu? No you get a shot. Same applies to the 6.0L, potential problems are ALWAYS best treated with preventative measures versus reactive measures.

My '06 has 134K running various mods and performing quite well with any task. I've done just about all the work and mods myself. I wish I had two of my truck and motor!! I've done just as much reading if not more than you. I've always taken the things I have read with a great interest and researched it over and over again till I understand the topic better. Personally I have a completely different theory of the "puking" and so-called head gasket issues but that's another post.

Keep reading and ask more questions. Find other sources for info, talk to your dealer techs, find other 6.0L owners and share a few drinks to see what issues they have.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First thing to do is put a water filter on your truck, I got my truck new and have put 60,000 miles on it so far and it pulls my 16,500 lb 13 ft 2 in tall fifth wheel just fine. We just took a 2500 mile trip all over the south east USA and it pulled ever hill that got in front of it just fine. While I was in GA. I had PHP put my computer back to the way it came from the factory. Here is there link.
6.0L Calibration Rollback - Power Hungry Performance Forum

My truck turned 5 years old on Wed July 28 so I got it another five years and 150,000 warranty. Right now I plan to keep this truck for a long time.

Doug

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you saying to add an additional water filter?

Stock.. you have No coolant (water) filtration. ALL engines have casting sand and grit in the cooling system passages, crooks and crannies.. from the Foundry/Casting process. Just, "the nature of the beasts".

Adding a Coolant Filter will, in a relatively short time, capture all these contaminants.. resulting in : Better cooling capability due to No areas where the sand, grit and scale.. can restrict flow.. not to mention wear & tear on the water-pump bushing and shaft.

Joe

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58