6.0 locked up

missingsc331

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So yesterday i attended a good friend of mines funeral and upon returning to my truck to leave i went to start it and the engine was locked up. the truck has been smoking lately but it does that in random intervals. do yall think it is the headgaskets that caused coolant to get into the cylinders or something far worse. please let me know. thanks

Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that could be far bad in itself ,, did it crank and slam to a stop??

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I would say head gaskets by the smoking before it locked up. Is there any missing coolant? That would point to Head Gaskets, or water (coolant) in the pan??

Dave

Bad Night

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2000 did that once . An injector stuck open and filled a cylinder full of diesel full . Had to tow it home pull the injectors (didn't know which one it was ) pulled the fuel pump fuse and cranked it over . Diesel fuel hit the ceiling on 12 foot ceilings . Anyway it did the same thing as yours random smoke and then one day wham . Fortunately it did it when I shut it off so when I went to start it it just wouldn't crank . No other damage .

tony4380

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
...i noticed your avatar picture.. you have a smoke switch installed, correct? is it possible your switch may have shorted and caused a problem? ive heard of the diesel fuel filling the cylinder story several times.. so id check that... and make sure and change your oil right after you fix it...if that is the problem. good luck...

tony4380

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
....also, what color smoke have you noticed at random times lately?

white? bluish gray? or black?

missingsc331

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it was a blue smoke .. luckily i called the dealership and i have 1 month left on the warranty and i am friends with the owner so i am going to have as much replaced as possible while i can. it did not even attempt to start it was locked as soon as i turned the key. I somewhat hope it is the gaskets so i can have some arp's installed for free. i will keep yall posted, they said they are backed up for 3-4 weeks

missingsc331

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I got a call from the dealership today and the credited all of this to a bad egr cooler .. They are going to replace the egr coole, oil cooler and coolant and oil change ... Good thing I just changed the amsoil 200 miles ago .. Do you think there could still be a headgasket issue .. Plus they could not explain why it locked .. I assume hydrolock

missingsc331

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so the egr and oil cooler were replaced and they decided to road test it .. came back i decided there was a headgasket failure as well. ARP's are in the mail

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58