6.0 PowerStroke problems...

Euclid

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Alright, this whole ordeal started out as what I thought to be a glow plug relay problem... I WISH!

The truck's an '03 F240 4x4 6.0 with a 6speed. The problem is that it takes a while to start up when it's been sitting a couple days and then it takes forever to warm up and it's seriously lacking in power.

I dropped it off at the dealership and $2500 later, after they said everything was fixed, I've still got the same problems.

Here's what they replaced:
oil pump
valve assembly
cam position sens
crank pos sens
engine bay wiring harness
nozzle assembly
reprogram/calibrate PCM

When I dropped it back off they told me that the PCM wasn't communicating with the injectors correctly and that was causing my problems. They quoted me $1027 for a PCM (yeah right...). They told me that I may also have an injectory problem.

Does anybody have any ideas as to what this problem might actually be? It could be the PCM, but I've lost all trust in this dealership. If it is the PCM, could anyone suggest a decent place to get a replacement as well as R&R how-to?

Thanks y'all, look forward to your tips/advice.

-Euclid

fordtrucker4life!

I work with waste
Reaction score
I'm sorry I can't answer your question, but from the parts the dealer put in it they don't know anything. They just started replacing stuff hoping the problem would go away. There are re-flashes for the computer on early 6.0 trucks that allow the injectors to cycle prior to shut down.

Sawboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The biggest problem is you have a parts replacer.......not a technician working on your truck. That, and his "dartboard" method ain't worth $h!t!

Find another dealer immediately. Don't let that hack touch your truck again!

Mike K

يساعد المعركة لحرية
Reaction score
I agree with Sawboy 1 billion % :)

IF..... and i mean IF i ever take my vehicle to the dealer i tell them i want the old parts back (to make sure they actually replaced it) and IF they replace a part and it doesnt fix the problem..... that is on them. I also make sure the service writer puts it on the work order so there is no misunderstanding. I would take it to a different dealer, explain the situation, they should be able to look it up in OASIS to see what the other dealer did and go from there. I would also consider writing a complaint, you shouldnt have to pay for the dealership/technicians lack of troubleshooting skills!

But just something to check.... have all the Service Bulletins been done? I see EGR isnt on the list of parts thrown at the vehicle... i know we have a lot of problems with that. You can remove that if you have even the most basic hand tools.

-Mike

Euclid

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I agree, I really don't trust this dealership and that's exactly why I pulled it out as soon as I realized what was going on.

Is it too late to sak for my original parts back?

I'm not sure which recalls they addressed, here's a copy of my reciept. Let me know if anything looks awry.

Euclid

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The diagnosis the second time that I brought it in was that there was a "recurring loss of communication between the injectors and the PCM". They wanted me to replace the entire PCM.

Nasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tech needs a reamin

You need to go back to that dealership and begin at the top of the ladder n get some kind of remedy for what they pulled on ya...n no...they better have your parts. Must be someone in your area that can direct you to a top-notch diesel tech. Wishin ya better luck

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mike K - yeah we have both, one's on tone ring on the crank, and the other is on the passenger side if memory serves me correct. I'd have to look at the bible to be sure.

I don't buy the injectors are loosing communication crap... they don't communicate, they're dumb slave devices. If the PCM doesn't talk to the injectors, the engine shuts off, period. You need to find another dealership pronto, and then go back loaded for bear and ask how they can justify charging you for replacement parts that didn't solve the problem.

Either put stop payment on the check, or put a hold on your credit card. That usually gets there attention pretty quick. You got hosed my friend.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14